Question

I'm unable to activate Office XP after upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7

Secondfall asked on

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (though since I upgraded from Windows XP technically I did a clean install of Windows 7). I'm in the process of re-installing all of my programs but I encountered a problem when attempting to activate Microsoft Office XP over the internet. I get a message that reads:

"We are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again later, or contact a Customer Service Representative by clicking OK and selecting the Telephone option. (0xb017)"

However, when I attempt to use the telephone option and select USA as my region, no telephone number is displayed. So, I'm at a loss for what to do. I haven't had any luck finding information regarding anyone with a similar problem. I would very much appreciate any help/advice anyone could give me!

49 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Secondfall replied on
Hi guys,

I'll list the steps that I took which resolved the issue. Keep in mind, while it worked for me, I'm not 100% sure it would work for everyone.

1. First, use the option to activate Office XP by telephone and follow the steps until it asks you for a confirmation ID, this is what you'll hopefully be getting from a Microsoft representative. This window should also contain another ID number that the representative will probably ask you for.

2. Next, go to www.microsoft.com and click the “Contact Us” link (should be a small link at the bottom of the page).

3. On the page that comes up, click the link that says "Chat Now".

4. On the next page that comes up, click the link for "Product Sales, General Inquiries and Genuine Advantage Questions".

Fill in the required fields in the window that pops up and click "Start Chat" to talk to a representative.

6. Explain the issue you're having to the representative and he/she will probably ask you for the ID number I previously mentioned you might need. Give them the ID number, and he/she will hopefully provide you with a confirmation ID number.

7. Enter the confirmation ID number in Office XP to complete the steps for telephone activation. This worked for me, I hope it works for you!!

Hope this helps, good luck!!
20 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress