OneNote on Mac cannot find Office 365 subscription

I have just updated OneNote on Mac to version 15.3.2 141022.

I am now unable to "activate" my subscription to access notebooks on OneDrive for Business (my university's SharePoint online mysite).  I put in my university email address and password but continually get a message "No Subscription, You do not have rights to an Office 365 Subscription"

The problem is, I do have these rights.  They work perfectly fine using the web client or using a Windows client.  It is just the Mac client, and only since the update.

I am able to use my OneDrive - Personal account on the Mac.  However this took multiple attempts at logging in to get it to work after the update.

I realise subscription rather than ownership is the future of software, but if I can't rely on my subscription allowing me access on the devices I use I am going to find other options.

Question Info

Last updated December 19, 2017 Views 311 Applies to:
I would suggest you to do a clean install of onenote on Mac and see if it helps you.
Truth is still truth, even if you don't believe in it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am afraid I am only an occasional Mac users, so I am not entirely sure how to perform a "clean install."

As far as I can see there is no uninstaller for the OneNote app. If I look at Purchases on the App Store it tells me I can open the app, but nothing about uninstalling.  The advice I found on the web suggests I should drag the OneNote .app file from the Applications folder.

So I removed the OneNote .app file and deleted it.  Rebooted. And checked OneNote was no longer available.

In the App Store it offered me the option to download the app again. I clicked download and the install process completed.  

When I launched the app again after the installation it reopened with all my previous settings intact. It also continued with the same behaviour, refusing to allow me to access my OneDrive for Business account because of its failure to recognise my Office 365 subscription.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jim

I'm also experiencing the same issue, and by the looks of the comments on the App Store, so are many other people.

Similarly, I've tried a clean install of OneNote but it is not letting me connect to my University account since version 15.3.2. On any Windows-based system, or iOS, it'll connect, but something about the latest update has broken it on Mac...

Hoping that they'll issue another update/patch soon!

Sorry this didn't help.