Sharing Function with OneNote (Windows 10) Does Not Work!

I have purchased this Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 specifically to be able to quickly take quick notes of screen shots and be able to share them.... however, the SHARING function is broken for me. 

When I click on the Share button, i can either share:

1) with the last person I emailed

2) The Mail Program

3) OneNote (not sure why you would use this one since I'm using OneNote now)

4) Messaging app.

If I choose the last person I emailed or The Mail program... sometimes, it hangs.. waiting for something to start.

Sometimes, I get a choice of WHICH email to email with.

• If I choose the first choice (my personal email), nothing happens.
  • If I choose the second choice (my work email), it will attempt to attach a linked image of the OneNote page I'm trying to send... but it just has a RED X and an error message where the image is supposed to go that says

"The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file and location."

If I choose the Messaging app, the messaging app disappears and I get the error message

"Something went wrong. Couldn't share Untitled page with Messaging".

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2019 Views 1,384 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Office Community.

We understand how you feel about this issue, let me assist you further.

Method 1:

Start the computer in clean boot and then try to access the Office applications, check the result.

Refer to the link below to know how to start the computer in clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure to restart the computer in normal mode once troubleshooting is completed.

Clean boot is performed to disable all startup programs and 3rd party services on the machine and check if they are conflicting with the Office program. If so, you may disable the unwanted software those conflict with the suite or get them updated.

Method 2:

If the issue still persist, you may refer to the below article to repair Office installation and check if it helps resolve the issue.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/project-help/repair-or-remove-office-HA010357402.aspx

One of the common reason for this issue is to have proxy settings running in the browser. Disable the proxy setting and check if it helps.

Hope it helps. Try the suggestions and let us know the result at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hello - thanks for your response. I did a clean boot and a repair of Office installation.

But issue still persists.

to clarify the issue which seems to be multiple,

• IMAGES that are in a OneNote app doesn't copy over to the email when sharing.
  • TEXT works.

see screenshot below... on the left, is the note I'm trying to share... on the right is the Mail App with a new email ready to send. In the body of the email, the text from OneNote is copied over but images are not. 

PLEASE HELP

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. I'm having the exactly same problem on Surface Pro 4 and nobody seems to understand what the problem is that suggest me to Install the Desktop OneNote app, when this is a problem with the modern app linked to the Surface Pen and doesn't share images, and that means it doesn't share anything related to the Surface Pen.

Any solution?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.  

OneNote Windows 10 store app (not desktop), go to sharing. Choose email or whatever and the page is a broken image.  

This happens on every MS Surface Pro 4 machine I've seen and every employee I have that uses a SP4 has the same issue.  It makes this wonderful app lose much of its usefulness.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Let’s refer to the below Microsoft article to create a new Windows user account and check how it works.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-10

Hope it helps. Try the suggestions and let us know the result at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello - This did not work.

I created a new Windows user account with a new email, etc. and made sure it was a LOCAL account. SAME PROBLEM.

Images are not coming over in the sharing... text works, but the images are just a big red X

See screenshot.  I draw something in OneNote App, I click share, I choose Mail, and look at the Mail Message ... it's populated with the name of the OneNote Note "test" and a big red x with the size of the image, but no image.

Messaging App also doesn't work either when I try to share with Messaging.

Sorry this didn't help.

not yet... but I think it's going to require many of us to complain / report the issue. I'm glad you chimed in too and good to know it's not just me.

Hopefully they will issue a bug fix as this single feature was the reason why I purchased the Surface Pro to begin with.

Just a note, I had the last model of the Surface I think it was the 3 with Windows 8 and this sharing function worked perfectly.  I'm wondering if this is a Windows 10 bug.

Sorry this didn't help.

BTW, this Sharing function from within the OneNote App worked perfectly with my last Surface Pro 3 and Windows 8.1...  

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a BIG problem that Microsoft seems to ignore. I've contacted Surface Support, Office Support, Windows Support and nobody seems to care about this problem that it's a big one and makes the Surface Pro 4 not work as advertised.

I'm even using Windows 10 Mobile and I find the same issue:

So it's a BIG problem with OneNote on Windows 10 (and Windows 10 Mobile too)

What is Microsoft waiting for to give an explanation and solution?

Sorry this didn't help.

The OneNote app's share feature fails to work with the Microsoft Mail app.

This solution does not work.  We want to invest in additional Surface tablets for our sales staff, but without this particular feature we are better off going with a Samsung Galaxy Note tablet.  Our sales people can't be outfitted with unreliable technology. It is a turn off to them as well as our customers.

Please provide a permanent fix to this problem.  The OneNote app's share feature fails to work with the Microsoft Mail app.

Sorry this didn't help.