Occasionally audio recording in OneNote fails to record audio

My partner recently purchased a Surface Pro 3 in order to record meetings in OneNote 2013.

It seems that occasionally the audio recording will just be silent. Sometimes hours of silence.  She had a few meetings the other day and only a few of them were recorded correctly.

Is there something that she is doing wrong? Everytime we test it, it works fine, but then out there in the real world it fails roughly 1/3 of the time. She'll take several recordings in a row and one of them will fail. It just doesn't make sense.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2019 Views 1,243 Applies to:

Use Sound recorder or any other 3rd party app and check if it records fine. 

This will let you check if the issue is with Onenote or Surface recording device. 

Regards,
Marcus DAlmeida

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The issue is that it is intermittent, but I have told my partner to try and test everytime before she does a recording.  But being intermittent, it means it can work and then 10mins later not...

I have read a few other forum posts around the web that indicate people have been having this issue within OneNote for some time, people have mentioned they believe the issue to relate to the sleep states of the audio devices, which to me makes some sense, and would make it a device issue.

I don't want to be bounced around forums, this issue occurs on the Surface Pro 3, people should know about it. It is an advertised feature, using OneNote and the smart pen to take notes in meetings.  This "feature" is broken, and I want to know why.

Sorry this didn't help.

This also occurs on my Lenovo Yoga. It is very frustrating.

The onboard microphone is muted randomly. I *just* verified the mic was not muted by opening Control Panel > Sound > Recording > Microphone > Properties > Levels. I then opened an Outlook Meeting in OneNote and started recording. After the meeting the recording is silent but the WMA file is 2.4 MB and shows a duration of 10:22. I reopened the Levels window and the mic is muted.

This has been happening for years, apparently. I think the only workaround is to verify the mic isn't muted when the recording is started.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have this exact issue on my Surface Pro 3 256GB OneNote 2013 Retail (Academic) version. I record audio from class lectures Monday through Friday at least once per day and, for one week, LOST (actually never recorded) the audio for 60% of my lectures. Things worked fine before the firmware updates (August 2014-May 2015) and then the microphone started muting randomly. This was my solution:

Preliminary: 

Make sure that OneNote 2013 the DESKTOP version (not the APP version) is set as default: OneNote 2013 -> File -> Options -> Advanced -> Make OneNote 2013 (desktop) the default OneNote application...

Make sure you've got the latest Office updates (not just the Windows ones). Click Windows button -> type Windows Updates -> Change Settings -> Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.

Just prior to recording:
  1. Open OneNote, start recording, wait 2 seconds, then click stop
  2. Right-click Volume icon -> Recording devices -> double-click Microphone -> Levels -> ensure microphone is NOT muted (it frequently mutes just after recording)
  3. Repeat #1 and listen to its playback.

If it works, record your lecture. If not, repeat #1-#3.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been using OneNote for 6 years now. Hadn't recorded a meeting in about a year. Knew about this issue, thought I checked everything I had to check pre-meeting (did some practice recording/playback, all was fine.  So in the meeting I hit record, finished meeting, back at desk, and... recording is silent!!!!! As usual, I Googled what I might have missed, only to be reminded "check that mic level to see if it unintentionally muted itself." And of course, mic level was muted!!!! Lost the whole meeting. I really want to be provided with an MS representative not to solve this problem at this point but to simply punch and kick, over and over and over. The one last thing I forgot to check before the actual recording was if that mic level became RANDOMLY muted. Sure enough, it did. Oh MS, I wish I could find the words to describe how sick to death of this issue I am. Of course, as someone previously said, this has been going on for years, so no worries for you... at this point no one is actually expecting a solution from you.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.