OneNote for iPad & iPhone v2 FAQ

OneNote for iPad & iPhone has been updated to a new version and it is available in the App Store right now.  For more details about this release please see here:

For overall help please go here:

OneNote for iPhone Help

OneNote for iPad Help

System Requirements

The updated version of OneNote requires iOS 6.1 or higher. 

Why is the app 250megs?

There have been a few reviews in the App Store where people commented on the size of the application which is around 250 megs and then it expands to a larger size once installed.  There are a few reasons for this.  First the app is localized into 29 languages so it has all of the resources and translations into all of those languages.  Many languages need specific fonts to correctly render their scripts and Office has always had a set of default fonts that we needed to include so the app would properly render your content.  Second the app has retina art so you have great looking icons & UI for all of your retina devices.  Finally there is a lot of code in there to support all of the OneNote content types and that is why the app is much bigger than before.  

We are listening to your feedback and we are looking at ways to address it in a future update.  

Finally if you look at other large apps like Apple's Pages & Keynote are 257 & 319 megs respectively.  Still though we are listening.

Does OneNote for iOS support SharePoint notebooks?

Yes!  You can open notebooks from on-prem SharePoint (SharePoint 2010 or higher), from Office 365 and SkyDrive Pro.  For more details on this you can read this blog post: OneNote for iPad & iPhone connecting to SharePoint, Office 365 & SkyDrive Pro.

Where is <my favorite feature>? When will it be added?

Since we use the app, too, we want it to be as awesome as possible. We listen to all feedback and consider it for future releases. Your feedback helps us know which features are most important to you. However, for a variety of reasons we cannot discuss planned features, their priorities, or the dates that we expect these features to be released.  Please keep submitting your requests in the app store reviews as well as in the comments below, we are reading them!

My question is not answered below, now what?

We want your feedback! Go to the  Microsoft Answers forum  and post your questions there. It is frequented by many users who might be able to help and is often visited by the OneNote product development team and the Microsoft Support team.

We will be updating this as we continue to hear from customers about the issues or questions that you all are facing. 

-Daniel Escapa, Program Manager on behalf of whole OneNote on iOS team 

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 4,716 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The app looks great and I'm very excited about it!

After playing around with it for a bit, I have a few questions.  Is it possible to move the Note Containers around the page?  Also, is there an audio recording function?  And lastly, is there a settings function where I can change default functionality (ie fonts)?  Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just releases June 2013 version refuses to upgrade or re install. Claims not enough space but over 3gig free.

Sorry this didn't help.

On the iPad version, does an emailed page always have to be in PDF format?  The old version sent the page as text, which I would like to have the option between PDF or a RTF.

Overall I am very pleased with the new look and functionality.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've installed v2 of both the iPhone and iPad versions which I think are great!

However I've noticed the apps themselves are quite big  (~500mb plus related data). Does anyone know why this would be? I know some of the MS fonts are included but still.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a reason why words corrected on my laptop's OneNote spell checker display as misspelled on the NEW iPhone OneNote application? Does the iPhone app have its own spell checker that once updated will no longer red underline the words in the future? 

Sorry this didn't help.

What happened to the option for wifi syncing only?  I don't know about other but this is a big issue for me.  I have a limited data plan and now I can't control when Onenote sync except by not using it when I'm on a cellular network or turning off cellular data.  Given that I rely on Onenote for both work and personal activity this is a huge problem.  Any possibility that wifi only syncing option will come back?

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Any chance you guys will allow us to sync with dropbox at some point?  SkyDrive has not proven to be anything but buggy and unstable.  Most of the time my notebooks wouldn't sync with it consistently.  I tried to move a few notebooks into SkyDrive to try the updated OneNote for iPad, and they wouldn't sync then either.  

Sorry this didn't help.

That's what I miss.....I can't email the notes now.

Sorry this didn't help.

When I try to add an on-site SharePoint site, I get the popup "OneNote couldn't find the file or folder.".  I have triple-checked the URL, and it works just fine if I type it in to a browser.  I've also verified that the URL works in Safari.

If I specify the full path to the .one or .onepkg files, I get "This file type isn't supported in OneNote."

Has anyone managed to get this working with on-premises SharePoint?  Could you share how?

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I hope I did this right...

Sorry this didn't help.