Excel iPad Open Dropbox Files

I am banging my head against a wall trying to get the new Drop Box intergration to work on my iPad.  Yes, I have updated everything to the newest versions. 

Everytime I try to open a File from dropbox, its will open but I get a little Note on the top of the file that says " Product Activated   To edit, sign in with your work or school account"    

And when I see this, I think that is weird because I am already signed in.. So I click on it, and try logging in with my microsoft account, it says "We don't recognize this user ID or passoword.  Also, I have attached a couple photos to show you what I'm talking about.  I have uninstalled and installed a couple times trying to get this to work.  Please help.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue.  I will look into the issue and see if we can figure out what is going on.

In the meantime you can try going to Settings > Excel and reset the credentials and cache (you will need to restart the app after doing this).

Derek

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the exact same problem.  My entire work force is.  The reset does nothing to solve this problem.

TJ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A quick update to confirm that our engineering team is looking into this. Stay tuned. Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

TJ and Rod,

Are you trying to open Dropbox for business files?  In order to edit business files in Office you need to have a business subscription that includes client edit rights, and in Rod's case, the email address provided does not have one of the qualifying subscriptions.

Derek

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Derek,

I have the following subscriptions:  Office 365 Home ($9.99 per month), Office 365 (my work pays for this and it includes our cloud email exchange and sharepoint), and Dropbox for Business (my work pays for this and we access all our files in the cloud). 

I have been unable to edit any excel or word files that are on our Dropbox for Business from the new excel and word apps on my iphone and ipad. I get a notification on the top of the file that says " Product Activated   To edit, sign in with your work or school account". I click on it, and have tried logging in with both my Office 365 Home account and work Office 365 account and it signs in but I still can't edit and still have the notification at the top.

Thanks,

TR

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

TR,

Office 365 Home/Personal do not include commercial use rights and and it sounds like the Office 365 subscription that your work pays for does not include client rights (which by extension would also not include commercial user rights of Office for iPad/iPhone).  In order to edit Dropbox for business documents in Office for iOS, your business will need to have an Office 365 for business subscription that includes client rights.

Derek

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Derek,

I am able to edit files that are saved in my personal Dropbox, OneDrive, and SharePoint (through my work). So, you are saying that the only documents I can't edit are the ones on my work Dropbox account? I'm not sure why Microsoft would allow me to edit SharePoint files and not Dropbox for Business files?

Thanks,

TR

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, fair enough.  So, I canceled my Office 365 Home and purchased a Office 365 PREMIUM plan and created new username and everything.  When I open up a dropbox file (in Excel for iPad) It says "Read Only - To edit, sign in with your work or school account".  When I do that it says "activating" briefly and then just stays on read only. Can not edit or duplicate at all. 

Please advise! I need and have paid for this functionality!

Sincerely,

TJ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My only workaround is to use Apple Numbers and Pages....which work fine

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

TJ,

To summarize, you are now in a state where editing Dropbox for business files should work but you are running into an activation issue.  It is hard to say exactly what is going on but my guess is that it is taking a little bit of time for your recent purchase to work it's way to the activation service.  Something that you can do is reset the app and try activating again.  

To reset the app, first dismiss the app (close it) then go to the home screen > Settings > Word > Reset Word > enable Delete Sign-in Credentials + Clear All Documents then restart the app.  

Did that work?

Derek

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2024 Views 1,831 Applies to: