[ISSUE] Microsoft Office Jump List and Pinning Documents

Let me start off by saying that I have done my research on this issue. I've looked all around for possible solutions and while many other people appear to be suffering from the same issue, none of the possible solutions provided thus far have worked for me. I've even seen a few people who are still stuck in the same boat as myself.

THE ISSUE
Now to the actual problem. It started when I switched to Windows 7. The "Jump List" feature is an amazing thing. However, it's NEVER worked for Microsoft Office applications. Not on Windows 7, not after I upgraded to Windows 8, nor Windows 8.1. Heck, I even just upgraded to Office 365 in hopes it would fix the issue for me.

"Recent documents" do not appear in the jump list nor can I manually pin files to their taskbar icon.

To demonstrate my point, I've attached the following images to show you.

My Taskbar

Example of Jump List working with File Explorer

Example of Jump List not working with Word

Proof that Word is aware of recent documents existing

As you can see, Jump Lists work just fine on other applications. Also shown above was that Microsoft Word is seeing my recent documents. So it's not as if Word isn't seeing that I have recent documents.

SOLUTIONS I'VE ALREADY TRIED
  • The "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations" trick
  • Upgrading from Office 2010 to Office 365 (yeah... I should have known better)
  • Made sure that ".docx" files have Word set as their default application
  • Signing in as a different user

With all that said, does anyone have any ideas? This issue has driven me nuts for way too long now and I would just like to get it to work like it should. Also, I'm aware that the images might have seemed like overkill but I figured the more detailed I am now, the less questions are needed to be asked.

Thanks for your time!
-Steve

EDIT: I should clarify, Jump Lists do appear to be working for other Office applications (such as PowerPoint). But Jump Lists for Word and Excel are still a problem.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Check in new windows user account.

Unemployed: Involuntarily leisured

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Check in new windows user account.

I just tried that and no luck their either. Any other ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

The jump lists do work for me in Windows 7, but only for the version that has grabbed the file associations. I got tired of my .docx files trying to open in Word 2013, so I reregistered Office 2010. At that point, if I opened documents in Word 2010, they did appear on the Word 2010 jump list, but the .doc files on my Word 2003 jump list also tried to open in Word 2010, so I had to reregister Office 2003, after which only that jump list adds files, and all Word files (.doc and .docx, even the ones on the Word 2010 jump list) open in Word 2003. At some point I'll bite the bullet and edit the Registry to fine-tune this, but for the time being, since I'm mostly using Word 2003, I just suck it up and open Word 2010 when I want to use it to open files.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Sorry this didn't help.

The jump lists do work for me in Windows 7, but only for the version that has grabbed the file associations. I got tired of my .docx files trying to open in Word 2013, so I reregistered Office 2010. At that point, if I opened documents in Word 2010, they did appear on the Word 2010 jump list, but the .doc files on my Word 2003 jump list also tried to open in Word 2010, so I had to reregister Office 2003, after which only that jump list adds files, and all Word files (.doc and .docx, even the ones on the Word 2010 jump list) open in Word 2003. At some point I'll bite the bullet and edit the Registry to fine-tune this, but for the time being, since I'm mostly using Word 2003, I just suck it up and open Word 2010 when I want to use it to open files.
First of all, thanks for taking the time to reply!

Secondly, I do believe you lost me (haha)! I followed what you were saying for the most part dealing with different versions of Word and different formats were associated with the different versions of Word.

With that said, what are you suggesting I try? I double-checked to make sure that all of the Word formats (doc, docx, docxml, etc) were associated with the same Word program ("Word (desktop)") and they were.

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure how this might work with Office 365, but since it is basically Office 2013, you should be able to reregister Office 2013 and restore the jump list functionality. Of course, this being Windows 8.1, I can make no guarantees that what works in Windows 7 will work there. I can tell you that, as long as Word 2013 had preempted the .docx file association, files that I opened in Word 2010 were appearing on the Word 2013 jump list.

Oddly, the new files that seem to be added to my Word 2010 jump list are all templates (.dotx and .dotm), while .docx files are not added to any jump list unless I open them in Word 2003.

Fairhope, Alabama USA

Sorry this didn't help.

How would I reregister Microsoft Word?

I searched it and found these instructions however I'm running into an issue. First of all, my OS is 64-bit so I have two program file folders ("Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)").

"Program Files" contains a folder titled, "Microsoft Office 15" and within it there are the following folders:
  • ClientX64
  • Data
  • packagemanifests
  • packagesunrisepolicies
  • root
"Program Files (x86)" contains the following folders:
  • Microsoft Office
  •      Office 15
  •           "OSPPREARM.EXE"
  • Microsoft Office 15
  •      Data

Sorry this didn't help.

The .exe file you cite may be something specific to Office 365. My installation of Office 2013 has C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE. You might also look at http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm for further suggestions, though I think this has not been updated to account for Office 365.
Fairhope, Alabama USA

Sorry this didn't help.

So I finally found all the .EXEs. Now what are you suggesting I try?

Again, thanks so much for all your help!

Sorry this didn't help.

Reregister using the specific version of Word you want to "take charge." That is, in the Windows Run box, paste in the entire file path of that .exe file, in quotes, followed by the /r switch (outside the quotes), and press Enter.
Fairhope, Alabama USA

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again for the quick reply! However, I just tried that with, yet again, no luck. Any other ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 2, 2020 Views 2,908 Applies to: