Use of own domain name with Office 365 Home/Premium

I cannot seem to find out whether I can add my own private domain, i.e. not a business user, but I own a personalised domain, with Office 365 Home Premium.

In other words, I would like to use *** Email address is removed for privacy *** instead of *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

I know you can do this with Office 365 for Business, but need to know whether this can be done with Home Premium.

Thanks

Chris

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I started the thread. I think some are missing the point. My point was that Microsoft should permit the flexibility to do this. I am not trying to beat them out of a few dollars a month.  I would gladly pay.  I think Microsoft has a definition of customers that only includes families and large businesses.  The end of the story is that I ended up with office 365 business and exchange online and then found out that one drive was not large enough to hold all the items I wanted to put there and I ended up having to go with SharePoint. There should be some desire for the customer who is between John Doe and Exxon

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bad auto correct page should say I love this thread but ...  I did not start the thread

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I started the thread. I think some are missing the point. My point was that Microsoft should permit the flexibility to do this. I am not trying to beat them out of a few dollars a month.  I would gladly pay.  I think Microsoft has a definition of customers that only includes families and large businesses.  The end of the story is that I ended up with office 365 business and exchange online and then found out that one drive was not large enough to hold all the items I wanted to put there and I ended up having to go with SharePoint. There should be some desire for the customer who is between John Doe and Exxon

I do not think they should make it available to use domains with office 365 home because then its open to abuse, companies using office 365 but purchasing home etc.

The price of office 365 per month per user is not exactly a killer for what you get

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Abuse with companies? It used to be free. Lots of families today tend to have self domain and don´t want to pay a more expensive offices licence.

But here´s a sugestion for anyone that is facing this problem:

1 - Use any router compatible with Hurricane Electric Free DNS Management (I use my own with OpenWrt) in order to register your IP in your domain. Thats the most dificult step as comercial routers tend to not have a DDNS option to Hurricane.

2 - Use Zohomail to create emails for your custom domain for free (up to 10 accounts).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The price of office 365 per month per user is not exactly a killer for what you get

$633AU/yr for a family of 4? Yes, that's a deal breaker. What's missing is something between Home and Business (Home Plus??) that offers extra flexibility for a small premium. Heck they could probably throw it in for free on the Home plan and get extra volume and justify it that way. Sure, people with domains are in the minority but probably still a good number.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I recently decided to use Office 365 instead of Google for my family email just to find out that I cannot point my domain to Office 365 Home. This is a no go and almost all families I know here in Sweden have their own domain name - seems like MS doesn't want Office 365 to be successful with home use.

I can only recommend people to use Google, that has been working great and they allow custom domain. I didn't plan to switch because Google didn't work, just wanted to limit the number of providers I use. Now I cannot and will continue to be a happy Google user =)

To Microsoft: I think it's pretty obvious that you lose a lot of customers because of this - hopefully common sense will win and you will get me back!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wonder how many "home user" customers will switch to ProtonMail after they start providing support for custom domains. I am waiting for this to happen.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What's funny is that I wouldn't even mind paying the $4/month or so extra for an Exchange Online Plan or Small Business Essentials to get the e-mail services, but Microsoft doesn't even allow that -- these services aren't compatible with an Office 365 Home subscription, so you have to setup a completely different Microsoft account if you want to subscribe to them.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This feature missing is a deal breaker. Please MS at least announce a road map date for this! Who wants to use a shameful @outlook address. I mean you make a package attractive to tech enthusiast and then you deny them a core need, shame :(

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2020 Views 84,623 Applies to: