Offline access to Office 365?

I purchased Office 365, but I am confused. It only appears to work when I am connected to the internet. Why doesnt the programs work when I am offline?

Question Info

Last updated September 7, 2019 Views 2,359 Applies to:

Hi Chastity,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Community and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you.

As per the description, looks like you are having issues with accessing Office applications when not connected to internet.

Before we proceed I would require some more information to assist you better.

1. Mention what happens when accessing Office application when working offline?

2. Mention the complete error message you receive to help you better?

As per the FAQ, ‘Internet access is required to install and activate all the latest releases of Office suites and all Office 365 plans. After purchase, you must visit www.office.com/setup to enter a product key and create an account (using a Microsoft account).

For subscription versions of Office including Office 365 Home Premium you will need to go online to manage your subscription account, for example to install Office on other machines, or to change billing options. You will also need to connect to the Internet regularly to keep your version of Office up-to-date and benefit from automatic upgrades. Internet connectivity is also required to access the Office 365 offerings such as SkyDrive and Skype world minutes.’

However it is preferable to have the computer connected to internet while working on Office applications.

Let us try the following steps and check if it helps in resolving the issue:

Step 1:

Repair Office 2013 installation and check if it helps resolve the issue:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/project-help/repair-or-remove-office-HA010357402.aspx

Note: Make sure the computer is connected to internet while performing a repair of Office.

Step 2:

Run the Fix it from the following article to remove all traces of the new Office on the system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

Once the automated troubleshooter completes then may you reinstall Office 365 and verify the results.

I hope this fixes the issue. If you still have issues, you may reply and we’ll be happy to help you.

Thank you

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Fix it?  Really?  It uninstalls the application and then you get to sit and stare at a downloader for another 3-4 hours.  This sucks!

Sorry this didn't help.

MS does not want us to work offline. That is why I use LibreOffice. It is free and works fine offline. Vote with your feet folks. Do not put up with this nightmare or Metro or "Modern" that take over the whole screen, in large type that has very little information visible and I can only use ONE app at a time, unless I am willing to go through a tedious process to change, while trying to remember the info that I had to memorize, as I go to the other app. If Smart Phone and tablet users are will to put up with that, that is between MS and them.

I am not playing with my Smart Phone, I want to be PRODUCTIVE on my computer. I want to be able to read two full pages of letter sized or A4 text on ONE screen at ONE time. Not read a fortune cookie.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

how do i even get to the office products offline, something so simple before turned into a headache!!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

how do i even get to the office products offline, something so simple before turned into a headache!!!!!

Jack, and everyone else, you cannot work offline without issues - I don't care what Microsoft wants you to believe. Try this: connect to the internet and launch Word.  If your account's activation needs renewing you'll be required to log into your Office account. Once that's done and you have Word working, disconnect from the internet. You should be able to work on the open document and save it to a local drive. Now launch Excel - you'll be informed that a internet connection can't be found and are prompted to log into your Office account to verify activation or enter an activation code. Why isn't the activation obtained for Word applicable for Excel and the other apps in the suite, as well?????

If you try to back out of the activation prompts you will be presented with a box entitled "Getting your new Office ready for you. Hold on, this should take a few moments..." THAT NEVER GOES AWAY and the only way to get rid of it is to end the application's task in Task Manager. Even reconnecting to the internet at this point does not end this endless box.

I will not be renewing my Office 365 subscription when it is due next month and will be going with another office productivity suite that will be fully functional from my local drives. Microsoft has it's head in its cloud and doesn't care about anyone else who has no need to live and work in the cloud 24/7.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

How do I get LibreOffice? I tried to use Word365 today and it told me I had to go online to "verify my credentials" or something, and wouldn't even let me edit a document? Well I can't go online at the moment, so that's my day ruined - thanks, Microsoft!

The stupid thing is, I had my laptop connected to the internet last night, so if (as it says) I need to go online "every thirty days" to verify my whatevers, why didn't they check then? I mean they not only ruined my day they also did it for no reason, because its only ONE day since I was online, not 30.

Sorry this didn't help.

So my client's CEO flew to China to do a sales presentation. They are not permitted to have internet access in the area they are in.  The CEO's Office 365 activation prompt came up and now she can't do any work.  Is that the way this product is designed to work, because if so, I need to stop selling it to a lot of my clients and move other clients off of the product.  I don't recall this being an issue in the past, but now I have people complaining about activation issues with regularity. 

I thought the whole point of "downloading" Office to my computer vs. using Office Online was so I could use it when I am offline!  

Anyway, hope you all put some thought into this going forward.  Maybe it should work a little more like AD does.  

Sorry this didn't help.

It's interesting to see that this is still an issue. This has obviously not been taken in at all.

I subscribed to have Office 365 on my laptops and get the same prompt "Couldn't verify subscription". I was connected to the internet all day yesterday, was signed in to my account when it upgraded to Office 2016, then worked on my files first online and then offline for a while - which worked ok - and then couldn't work on anything anymore this morning on the train when I NEEDED to finish it. 

I do regularly connect to the internet to run updates, so this shouldn't come up at all and yet it does. I might even be willing to consider accepting that MS wants me to go online every few months during my subscription) if it would give me a few days notice. 

But then, I have paid for this for a 4 year subscription, my machine is registered and Office is verified. Get off my back, Microsoft, and learn how to use a calendar which tells when my subscription expires. This is ridiculous. 

That's how you loose customers. Well done.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.