Office Apps missing after upgrade to Office 2016

• I'm running Windows 10 Home.
  • I've just installed the Office 2016 upgrade.
  • There is no Microsoft Office 2016 folder under all apps. There is no icon for Word 2016. There is no icon for OneNote 2016.  
  • I can start Word 2016 by double-clicking on a word document.
  • I cannot start OneNote 2016. I went to the OneDrive site, opened a OneOnote notebook online, and chose "Open in OneNote". It attempted to open it in OneNote 2010  which is also installed on my computer.
  • I have rebooted. I have re-run the installation process.
  • If I search for "word" it the it shows Word 2010. 
  • If I search for OneNote, it shows me the oneNote store app.
  • I've tried to install the OneNote store app, but it is greyed out in the control panel uninstall section. 

My most pressing concern is to be able to open OneNote 2016, but obviously, I want the whole suite installed correctly.

--

Updating to add that I've found now the oneNote executable under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16. I can run it from there, but there is clearly something wrong with the installation process. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

You may refer to the suggestions from the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.office.com/en-in/article/Can-t-find-Office-applications-in-Windows-10-Windows-8-or-Windows-7-907ce545-6ae8-459b-8d9d-de6764a635d6

If you have further questions related to this, please let us know.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

There are some "known" issues with Office on Win 10. Take a look at these links;

Issues with Office on Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-office_install/issues-with-office-on-windows-10/3b2cb6f2-d119-4f16-b146-70ba9e432828

We’re working to fix the issues that may come up when using your Office apps with Windows 10. 

Visit Known issues with Office and Windows 10  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Known-issues-with-Office-and-Windows-10-28d56d84-c16c-4763-8eac-e51e05a37a16  if you are experiencing any of the following issues:

• You receive an error when opening Office files after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10
  • Can’t find Office applications after Windows 10 upgrade
  • Error: We’re sorry, but <Office App name> has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly
  • Can’t open or save files after upgrading to windows 10
  • Error: (0X8004FC12) We are sorry, something went wrong and we can’t do this for you right now. Please try again later
  • How to upgrade to Windows 10 on new devices that include Office 365
  • “Time to get your new Office” doesn’t allow you to upgrade your Office Mobile apps
  • Error: “You don’t have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission.
  • Outlook Send/Receive error: 0x800CCC13 after upgrading to Windows 10
  • Unable to access PST File or start Outlook after upgrading to Windows 10
  • Business Contact Manager (BCM) crashes after upgrading to Windows 10
  • You’re prompted to specify Internet Explorer 11 as default browser when you click a link in Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2007
  • Office apps may crash when you try to open them after upgrading to Windows 10
  • Can’t print after upgrading to Windows 10

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

As I mentioned in post the applications are not available under All Apps.

Regards,

Keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I've read through the links, but still have the problem. One of the links took to me to the same page that Prabhavathi Patil suggested, but that suggests looking for them under All Apps. 

Regards,

Keith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I upgraded from Office 2016 after I upgraded my OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After a "successful" installation of Office 2016, I am unable to find any of the shortcuts to run the office apps.

The Search Box wasn't finding ANYTHING until I went into Task Manager and "killed Cortana". Now it will search, but still won't find any of the Office 2016 apps.

None of the linked documents above help - they all assume you can see the shortcuts under "All Apps" or find them with the search box. In my case, they appear in neither place. If I search for "Word" in the search box I can find "Microsoft Word 2010", for example, but not 2016.

I was able to search for the shortcuts in the file explorer and I see the Office 2016 icons in the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

If I click the shortcut from this folder the app runs, however I am unable to add it to the start menu or otherwise pin it somewhere useful. Do I have to wait for a software update from Microsoft in order to simply add an existing shortcut to the start menu?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The programs themselves are in  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16  .For whatever reason, they don't show up when you use the search button, but you can manually pin them. Go to that directory, then right-click on the app (Word, Excel, OneNote, etc) and choose Pin to Start or Pin to Taskabr

I've no idea what Microsoft are doing releasing this half-baked upgrade. I've wasted hours faffing around with it, including 90 minutes yesterday with a so-called support person who finally decided he couldn't fix it, so gave me a phone number where I could buy some more support, despite that I have a subscription to Office 365.

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, that helps.  However for me they are located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16, I assume because I installed the 64-bit versions. "Pin to taskbar" works, however "Pin to Start" has no effect. Hopefully they get some fixes out there soon. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Keith,

This may be the issue: 

Some Win32 apps missing from Start menu "All Programs" list and search

Apparently the Start Menu can't support more than 512 apps. This is a known bug since before the release of Windows 10 and they still don't have a fix. There is a PowerShell command in the thread above that will count the number of apps in your Start Menu. If greater than 512, that is probably the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem when my Office 2016 totally failed and I have to reinstall Office 2013.  Office 2013 did not show until I deleted the icons for Office 2016 in the Start Menu for "All Apps".  It appears that there was no code created to replace the current icons with the new icons.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I apologize in advance as I have no valuable contribution that will assist anyone, but I am compelled to use this forum to complain. It seems like EVERY time I update MS something goes horribly wrong. My issue is similar to others -  I can see all of my Office 2016 apps in allapps except WORD.  When I go to the file location for Excel, Powerpoint, etc. - they're all there - EXCEPT Word. Search finds all sorts of garbage, including Worpad, but no WORD app... yet every time I've opened a WORD doc for the last two weeks, I have been prompted to update, so I did.  Shame on me for thinking that this particular update would be reliable considering my previous experiences with MS.

p.s. I only have 177 apps in my startup, so that is not the issue here.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2022 Views 11,438 Applies to: