Office 365 - Change Subscription Level from Office 365 E3 to Office 365 Home

I have My subscription through TechNet and it will expire soon.  I want to get Office 365 Home as my new subscription level because I only have two users and do not need enterprise features.  But I have not been able to find definitive answers to one issue:  With an Office 365 Home subscription, can I still receive email at my own domain.  Currently my domain is hosted under the mydomain.onmicrosoft.com account... my account home shows me this description:

Your Office 365 account comes with a domain name—contoso.onmicrosoft.com—but if you have your own domain name already, you can use that domain name with Microsoft Online Services services too.

What I want to know is: Does the Office 365 Home subscription also allow me to use my own domain name with Microsoft Online Services?  Also, if I try to renew my existing E3 subscription with a Home subscription does it  just automatically change the service levels available?  Or do I need to start anew with a separate account and a new setup?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 749 Applies to:

Hi John,

Office 365 Home will not support domain services. Refer to the following link for more information on availability of domain services across Office 365 suites.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office-365-domains.aspx

As far as changing to Office 365 Home, you may use a new account to subscribe/purchase.

If you still have questions, you can always reply and I’ll be happy to assist you.

Thank you

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Girish...

The reference was informative, but just proved to me that I have been looking at the wrong way forward.  I am really just trying to determine the affordable way for me (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***) and my wife (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***) to keep our existing email addresses and still get the multi-device mail synchronization that we are getting from Office 365 E3.  OK, mydomain.net is not the real domain name... just an example.  We are the only two user accounts in the domain so I do not need the typical quantity of licenses that come with the business accounts, nor is their expense welcome.  The only capability I really want to use from the Office 365 subscription is to have our mail store in a single location, such as on an Exchange Server for instance, where it can be accessed from my primary workstation, a tablet and from my Windows phone for my mail account; and the same for my wife's mail account from her workstation and mobile devices.  (I want to NOT have anything like a POP server for mail because the mail does not stay on the server and it can only be read by multiple devices until whatever device first downloads it)  The only approach that will work is server based / cloud based storage of the account primary mail store.

The software and other services from Office 365 are just wasted on us as we really do not use any of it, at least not yet.

Is there some economical plan / subscription under the Office 365 family of plans that provides the capability I am looking for?  Or does Windows 8 / 8.1 / 8.1 Upgrade keep a Microsoft Account User's mail store in a 'Cloud storage location' accessible from multiple devices?  That might work like I want.  If so I would just need to go to a mail hosting provider for my mail domain and set up a forwarder to the Microsoft account.  If I did that, what would I be getting from an Office 365 subscription?  Office software is something I already have that was installed and in use long before I had an Office 365 subscription, so the software subscription is only a way to keep always upgraded to the most current version.  Which is probably worthwhile at the cost of an Office 365 Home subscription.

Regards

John Dean

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.