Can't Sign Out Of Outlook In Browsers?

I don't know about anyone else, but in my never very humble opinion not being able to sign out of Outlook is a huge problem and a major flaw. The way it stands now, any browser on any machine where I open my Outlook will be able to go back in to my email without logging in, whether I'm there or not. And none of the things any support person has tried solves the issue. I've already been thru all of it, removing cookies, history, changing settings, different browsers, changing certificates, etc. and still it is impossible to sign out of Outlook in a browser.

I know I'm no expert, but nobody should have to jump thru all those hoops just to force my browsers to let me sign out of Outlook. And everybody tells me Microsoft made it this way by design?? WHAT?

FIX THIS! I'm no expert, but I'm no ordinary dummy user, either. I'm a developer so I can try things without messing up my machine. But nothing I've tried so far has made any difference. When the browser opens, and I go to Outlook, it automatically logs in and lets whomever is sitting at the computer have full access to my email.

Do you not see this as a major design flaw, Bill?

FIX THIS!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Click on your name in the top right corner in Outlook.com and choose Sign Out.

You've probably set the option to save your password for the site, you can remove it via the Credential Manager in Control Panel (or another credential manager which you might have installed).

To not only protect your emails but also your documents and other data, log off or lock your computer when you are away. If multiple people are using this computer, use multiple user accounts.

For further support, use the dedicated Outlook.com forum rather than the Outlook (desktop client) one: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/mail?tab=QnA

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
https://www.howto-outlook.com
https://www.msoutlook.info

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Click on your name in the top right corner in Outlook.com and choose Sign Out.

You've probably set the option to save your password for the site, you can remove it via the Credential Manager in Control Panel (or another credential manager which you might have installed).

To not only protect your emails but also your documents and other data, log off or lock your computer when you are away. If multiple people are using this computer, use multiple user accounts.

For further support, use the dedicated Outlook.com forum rather than the Outlook (desktop client) one: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/mail?tab=QnA

Like I said: ["I've already been thru all of it, removing cookies, history, changing settings, different browsers, changing certificates, etc. and still it is impossible to sign out of Outlook in a browser."]

Your suggestions are the most basic, "Outlook for Dummies" answers anybody could have offered. It's very frustrating because all of you tech support people always start with the same old simpleton replies. I told you none of that simple stuff solved the problem. I NEVER save passwords, I know better. I also told you it's not just my desktop Outlook on my computer that is the problem. ANY computer I use to open a browser and go to my Outlook, that computer will automatically open my Outlook for anybody who uses that machine to go to mymail.unl.edu. Anybody who opens a browser and goes to mymail.unl.edu on any machine I have used will automatically get my email.....because OUTLOOK IN A BROWSER WON'T LOG OUT. 

How can Microsoft deny that this is a major flaw???? I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be snotty but your simpleton reply sounds like every other tech support person......like you didn't really read my entire complaint, and your response is not helpful in solving this problem. I came here because nothing anyone else has tried solves the problem. Care to try again?

Bueller? Bueller?   

158 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you contacted the support department for "University of Nebraska–Lincoln" to which this email account applies?

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP 2012-2018]
http://www.contactgenie.info

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you contacted the support department for "University of Nebraska–Lincoln" to which this email account applies?

Like I said......

["I came here because nothing anyone else has tried solves the problem."]  

They are the first ones I contacted, of course. I'm sorry that wasn't clear. They are useless. They tell me that lots of employees have reported this issue already, and that Microsoft knows about this issue and Microsoft says it is "by design" and therefore will not be changed. They are the ones who ran my machine thru every ringer and procedure they could think of, and none of it solves the problem. My machine is all Microsoft, everything on my machine is Microsoft apps running on Win 7 Pro, Office 2010, IE 10, Firefox latest version, Visual Studio, nothing dazzling or tricky, very basic vanilla setup, etc.....Chrome? Same problem.

I'm pushing this problem back to Microsoft, I'm convinced this is a Microsoft problem, this is not a problem just with my machine at work. Every machine on campus that I might use a browser to check my email, that browser will then automatically open my email whenever someone else uses the browser on that machine to go to mymail.unl.edu. It's not just my email, it does this same thing to any UNL employee who uses a browser to check email, even if they use someone else's computer. It does it on my XP machine at home with any browser.

I'm telling you, no matter what anybody has tried to fix it, OUTLOOK IN A BROWSER WILL NOT SIGN OUT. And that is a huge problem, a major major flaw. I challenge any of you to suggest a cause and a fix for it that hasn't already been tried.

Believe me......I hope I'm wrong. Next suggestion, please........       

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately this forum is for Outlook (the desktop client) which has nothing to do with browser based email using Office 365 (also this is a peer-to-peer forum - not MS Support). 

If your University won't assist you then your only option would be to contact Microsoft support directly and open a support case

Office 365 Home Premium & Office 365 University

Just as an aside even though I don't have an answer or suggestion, the one thing that you didn't explicitly mention is what happens when you sign-out of your account in the off chance that someone else here reads this and has a suggestion (please remember - Outlook, the desktop client, has nothing to do with browsers so the subject not likely to be at the top of anyone's list <in this forum> - or you can post your question in the forum originally suggested by Roady in the initial response.
Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP 2012-2018]
http://www.contactgenie.info

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Office 365 University

["Office 365 University"] ....... IS what I clicked on to get here. I answered the questions when I started the thread, and "Office 365 University" was the choice I clicked on. This is where my question ended up. Didn't end up where it really belongs?? Well, from an end user's perspective that's the kind of odd behavior people have come to expect with MS products.

What happens when I sign out of Outlook in a browser? It acts like it is signing out, the little thing on the screen spins, and then it automatically comes right back to my email and my inbox, already signed in and ready to use. Like it's caught in a permanent loop....... Does the same thing to every user on every machine with any browser. Many employees are complaining about it, and the stock answer is that Microsoft doesn't think it's a problem, it's "by design," so there won't be any fix. Then, if the user agrees, our tech support people will proceed to try all these tricky fixes that have no effect on the problem. They even connect remote control while the user watches what they do, and still they can't find any solution to it.

Outlook in a browser will not sign out.

I guess I'll start over, posting somewhere else.

Rabbit hole.........

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no "name in the top right corner" to click on

My title bar has an icon on the left to switch to Mail | Calendar | People | Tasks

I have buttons on the right for Notifications | Settings | Help | People

That's it!

Debbie

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Uninstall the browser totally from your device, then download again.

This will solve your problem.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had the same problem with my 365 outllook account at my university. What I have been doing is clicking the upper left boxes and go into onedrive, then sign out, it then displays "you have successfully signed out of 365."

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You sign out of Office web access here

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2021 Views 47,278 Applies to: