[Solved] Excel 2013/2016 performance issues after Windows 10 Upgrade

Hi,

I have an Excel file (about 50mb in size), which has multiple formula/vlookups and a pivot tables. Under Windows 7, everything worked fine however after upgrading to Windows 10 (laptop I am using has Intel i5 3rd gen processor and 10gb Ram and SSD) Excel started having performance issues and slowly when filtering data. When I apply a new filter, Excel freezes and shows that it is calculating, after about 30~60 seconds or so the calculation percentage jumps from 0 – 83% then freezes again and before the calculation continues at a extremely slow pace (it took about 30+ mins to finish calculating).

I have tried using Excel 2013 (32bit and 64bit) and Excel 2016 (32bit and 64 bit); applied all the latest updated to Windows 10 and Excel but the same problem still exists. I have also tried the file on two different machines, one  running Windows 7 and Office 2013 32bit but (laptop with Intel i3 2nd gen processor, 8gb Ram and HDD ); the other running Window 7 and Office 2007  32bit  (Intel i5 3rd gen, 8GB Ram and HDD) and neither has this issue. Both machines are able to calculate without freezing and can do so under 1 min.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues or has any suggestions on how to solve the performance problems?

Thanks,

HK

Edit: I couldn't see a way to mark this question as answered so I just edited my original post.

It seems that this a problem with the updated version of Office. I rolled back to an earlier version of Office following  these instructions as suggested by Lisa in the thread below and everything is working normally (see the reply form Lisa from Queens in link below). 

Hopefully Microsoft will fix this in the next update. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-excel/windows-10-upgrade-has-made-ms-excel-unusable/3188cff1-afed-4a45-9ea0-8f806bb113d1)

Question Info

Last updated July 16, 2019 Views 28,101 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

It seems that this a problem with the updated version of Office. I rolled back to an earlier version of Office as suggested by Lisa in the thread below and everything is working normally (see the reply form Lisa from Queens in link below). 

Hopefully Microsoft will fix this in the next update. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-excel/windows-10-upgrade-has-made-ms-excel-unusable/3188cff1-afed-4a45-9ea0-8f806bb113d1)

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.