Moving from 2013 to 2016 makes loose 1+ raw because title bar, space and Quick Access Toolbar are higher (Ribbon masked)

Hello,

Moving from Excel 2013 to 2016 lead to loose 1+ raw (same zoom) because Title bar, tabs of masked Ribbon and Quick access bar are higher

Please can you tell me if it is possible to reduce (not mask) these bars which take a lot of space when working on

a 14 ' screen.

Thank you for your help and kind regards,

Jean-Luc

Question Info

Last updated June 22, 2018 Views 41 Applies to:

Hello Jean,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Excel 2016 as you have observed takes more space in the Ribbon and Title bar area. This is by design of the product.

If you however require the ribbon and title bar size to be smaller and appear like in the previous version, then you may provide your feedback and make a feature request.

Please take a moment to send us your feature request(s) by submitting your feedback in the following link.

https://excel.uservoice.com/

Thank you for sharing your issue and requirement with us. We listen to all feedback and consider them for additional feature/future versions of our products. Your feedback helps us know which features are most important to you. We appreciate your continued interest in Microsoft products and services. Microsoft is committed to continuously improving your experience with our products.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Jean-Luc:

The problem is not excel specific. If you put the suggestion up I will vote for it. Please make the suggestion in the Office uservoice. I will vote for it.

·     Office in general - http://office.uservoice.com/forums/285186-general

You can simply copy the text of your comment here into the uservoice suggestion.  Provide them with a link back to this question so people can see it visually.

I just made the comparison between Word 2016 and 2010.  Same thing, not quite as bad.  In word it is obvious that the increased height is in the Ribbon tabs, not the QAT or the Ribbon itself. There is more space between the Ribbon and the formula area, and the column heads are also taller.  EWWWW.

I also compared Excel 2010 and 2016. In Excel more of the elements use more space. The ribbon is also slightly taller and there is a lot more space between the ribbon and

Frankly I am totally amazed and baffled. People have been complaining about the wasted vertical space used up by the ribbon, especially in widescreen monitors, and here they are making it even wider!  Wow!

But this is typical of the dumbing down of MS to work on teeny-tiny portrait oriented smartphone screens instead of landscape 16:10 computer monitors.  When 2013 came out they made the QAT buttons wider than in 2010. And again in 2016 they made the QAT button even wider than 2013, so that you could fit 1/3 less buttons in 2016 than 2010.  Eventually MS backed the buttons back down to 2013 size.

This is all in the name of making Office touch friendly.  Sorry, but I don't touch my 42" monitor!

There are 10 kinds of people:
Those who understand binary and
those who don’t.
(hint: geek joke about binary numbers)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry this didn't help.

Excel 2016 compared to 2010

Word 2016 compared 2010, not as bad as Excel.

those who don’t.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your help and suggestion. I have made a request see link :

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/12939345-capability-to-resize-title-bar-tab-names-of-mask

After doing that, I read another reply (next to yours) suggesting to generalize the idea to all office programs. I wonder if below idea is already dealing with that matter ?

https://office.uservoice.com/forums/285186-general/suggestions/9906966-office-2016-quick-access-toolbar-too-wide 

Kind regards

Jean-Luc

Sorry this didn't help.

Jean-Luc:

The second link is for a different, but slightly related, issue that has already been fixed.  When 2016 was released, the QAT buttons were WIDER (horizontally) than 2013 and MUCH wider than 2010. People migrating from 2010 who had full QAT bars were suddenly losing 1/3 of their QAT buttons. They were not amused! The fix was just released in the last month.  The buttons are returned to 2013 size.

those who don’t.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry this didn't help.