Excel 2013 / SkyDrive upload problem

Over the past week, the following situation happens several times each day on a single Excel 2013 (Office 365 Home Premium) document that I leave open for most of the day for occasional edits.

When I choose 'save,' SkyDrive attempts to save, and then then the following warning pops up: "UPLOAD FAILED: We're sorry, someone updated the server copy and it's not possible to upload your changes right now." Then I'm presented with the unhelpful options: "Keep My Version" and "Keep Server Version." (perhaps Microsoft could create a quick/easy side by side comparison of key differences, if any, between the two versions?)

I'm not sure why this would keep happening when I only use this document on a single computer, and I only save/open from SkyDrive from within Excel (never from SkyDrive.com, etc.). The only updating of the "server copy" is from within Excel, so I'm not sure why Excel is playing dumb about "someone updated the server copy" and "keep my version" vs. "keep server version."

I should note that once I click "Keep My Version," it successfully saves to SkyDrive. If I make a quick edit and then hit save again, it successfully saves to SkyDrive. The problem seems to be after a longer period of time.

I should also mention that I experience a SkyDrive saving problem with a single document in Word 2013 that I keep open for most of the day as well. Very often when I hit save (within Word, saving to SkyDrive), it causes the error pop-up: "SAVE AGAIN: We need to refresh your file with updates. Click Save to try again." Then I click the save button and it finally saves.

Multiply these occurrences by several times a day and it becomes quite frustrating/silly. I've already tried a complete uninstallation/reinstallation of Office 365 Home Premium, and the situation hasn't changed.

I used the Office 2013 customer preview and then switched over to Office 365 Home Premium, which I've used for a couple of months without issue until now. I love SkyDrive and hope to keep using it, but there's minimal room for error when it comes to document accuracy, so I hope there's a clear/simple way past this.

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2018 Views 1,405 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Have you shared this file with anyone?
It is always better to download the file first and then work with it rather than continuously keep saving changes to the server.
You should ideally look at disabling the save to skydrive feature, once you are done with the edits, upload it to SkyDrive manually.
Helping Others and myself.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your note. I never share the file with anyone. I open it at the beginning of the day from within Excel, which accesses it from SkyDrive, and then I work with the document off and on throughout the entire day making edits as needed. I save it a few times a day, and make sure it says "uploading to SkyDrive" and properly goes through the Microsoft Upload Center. I appreciate your suggestion, but for my situation what you described wouldn't be convenient for me to do with the many documents I work with on a daily basis. I'm expecting the "save to SkyDrive" process to work like it used to / like it's supposed to.

Sorry this didn't help.

Constant connectivity throughout a session has been an issue with ms applications for ever.
The new office would take time to get used to that process as well.
Disabling the av software is an option to tr, but it is not suggested as it keeps your system unprotected throughout.

Helping Others and myself.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm getting this problem regularly with a Word file I'm editing (the yellow "save again" banner). There's clearly a problem with SkyDrive in terms of its its robustness. When I set up a SkyDrive folder on a new machine and sync files there from the cloud, I usually have to do it more than once because the first time results in files with red crosses on them (i.e. there was some syncing problem) which I can usually fix eventually but shouldn't have to. I wish MS would take this seriously instead of just blathering on about how wonderful SkyDrive is. Potentially SkyDrive is indeed wonderful, but it hasn't been properly tested, evidently. DropBox used to have problems of this nature (every so often saves would fail, and you'd have to do a 'save as' to a new file name), but they've disappeared long since.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm seeing this exact same behavior constantly and it is highly irritating. I've moved all of my files and documents to Skydrive under Microsoft's promise of easy multi-device connectivity, but it won't even work right with ONE device.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the same problem. I am the only person using the file on Skydrive (although the whole folder is shared). Having to go through the "My Version" selection every time is getting really irritating because I use a lot of Excel docs as part of my daily work. I really need them to "just save" so I am confident that I wont lose the data.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.  I've started using office 365 home and have come across this problem.  I used SkyDrive with Office 2010 without this problem.  In those days (last week) I saved all docs to my SkyDrive folder on my computer and left SkyDrive to do the syncing with the cloud and thence to other devices.  Do you have this arrangement set up too?  I am wondering whether there is some conflict between two versions of SkyDrive Saves:

• SkyDrive syncing folders on your pc
  • Excel syncing with SkyDrive directly

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.  I've started using office 365 home and have come across this problem.  I used SkyDrive with Office 2010 without this problem.  In those days (last week) I saved all docs to my SkyDrive folder on my computer and left SkyDrive to do the syncing with the cloud and thence to other devices.  Do you have this arrangement set up too?  I am wondering whether there is some conflict between two versions of SkyDrive Saves:

• SkyDrive syncing folders on your pc
  • Excel syncing with SkyDrive directly

Yep, that's my situation as well:  Office 365, only person using the files, all documents on SkyDrive, using SkyDrive utility to keep files sync'd, saving changes in Excel files directly to SkyDrive. I suspect you are correct in your suspicions about a conflict between the SkyDrive sync utility and Excel trying to save directly to SkyDrive.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. I'm using Office 365 on Windows Home Premium. It only happens on Excel and so far I haven't encounter any problem on Word. This problem occured I think around 1 week ago. It was ok before that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone,

I found that this was happening with old Excel Spreadsheets (.xls) that were in "Compatibility Mode". By saving as Excel (.xlsx) the problem went away.

Sorry this didn't help.