Excel 2013 (Office 365) Files Always Open Full Screen/Maximized

If I just launch Excel by itself from the icon in the taskbar or Start menu, it properly opens at the same size I closed it. However, if I launch from an Excel file, either by double-clicking an Excel file or right clicking on the Excel icon in the Taskbar and selecting one from the history above it, the Excel window that opens is always full screen or maximized. I don't have this problem with Word or PowerPoint, both of which open files at the size I last closed the application.

I did not have this problem with Excel 2010. In fact, I haven't yet uninstalled it, because of problems like this with Office 365 and Excel 2010 still opens properly.

I use a 2560x1600 30" screen as my primary display (plus another display) so that I never have to run applications full screen, except for rare situations where I really need the application to take up that much real estate. How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Colin

Question Info

Last updated September 10, 2018 Views 17,639 Applies to:
Answer
I have solved this problem, at least on my machine.  This is definately a display problem.  I recently upgraded to all solid state drives, so I was able to do start up tests much faster.  I finally narrowed it down to an AMD file associated with the catalyst control center and the hyrda display.  I find when I disable this file at startup (HydraDM.exe), I no longer have the problem.  The catch is, whenever I open the catalyst control center, it will execute the file and the problem returns.  This is how I was able to determine that this particular file, in my case, was the problem.  I don't use the advanced display functions, and I am already using 3 monitors, so I have no use for the hydra display.  For me, this has solved the problem consistently.

21 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.