Office 2016 opening One Note from toolbar

In Outlook 2016 I open a calendar appointment and try to click the One Note toolbar icon to take notes about the meeting.  I get an immediate crash and then outlook restarts.  No error codes.  After that point One Note will not start at all, even launching from Start.  Says it is trying to recover it's files but never starts.  I need to do a restart to get back operational.

This ONLY happens when the invite comes in from what I believe to be Lotus Notes users.  Any other external or internal meeting invites seem to work fine.  Only specific ones fail with this issue.

Thoughts?

Running Windows 10, Office 2016, Surface Pro 3

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2017 Views 346 Applies to:

Hello Michael,

I understand your concern and will assist you with this issue.

Kindly provide more information to help you better.

1)
What type of email account are you working on?

Verify the same from File > Account Settings > Account Settings > check under Email tab. 

2) What is the complete message you receive while attempting to start OneNote?

3)
Check Event Viewer and see if you're able to find any warning/error related to Office/Outlook/OneNote and post back the same information to know about cause of the issue.

a) Initiate Run by pressing the Windows Hot Key + R. Now type eventvwr.msc and press Enter on your keyboard to launch the Event Viewer application.

b) When Event Viewer opens up you can look at the left pane and view the logs regarding the specific action (Microsoft Office) on Windows.

Reply with necessary information and I’ll be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1) MS Exchange account - O365

2) After clicking the meeting notes button in the task bar of the calendar item I get "Microsoft Outlook has stopped working" 

2) When I go to start One Note from the start menu I get "We're sorry.  OneNote is cleaning up from the last time it was open. Please wait."  Then I get "It looks like OneNote is having trouble starting right now.  If you keep seeing this message, restart your computer and start OneNote again.  We're very sorry."

3) Only office event is OneNote.   

Microsoft OneNote
It looks like OneNote is having trouble starting right now. If you keep seeing this message, restart your computer and start OneNote again. We're very sorry.
6xsa

3) In Windows logs - Error -

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.4201.1002, time stamp: 0x5573fad9
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10130.0, time stamp: 0x55602b04
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000d2ebc
Faulting process id: 0x1c60
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0aa818a165379
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: a03650fc-b527-4f78-8a2d-c5c50784f466
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for replying.

Let's create a new Outlook profile, add a Non-Microsoft Exchange Server email account (POP3 or IMAP), then try to click the One Note toolbar icon and verify whether issue re-occurs.

You may refer to the following article for instructions on how to create new profile.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/create-an-outlook-profile-HA102749460.aspx?CTT=1

Note
: Instructions mentioned in the above article applies to Outlook 2016 Preview as well. Ensure that you select the new profile under Always use this profile for Outlook to start in the new profile.

If issue still persists, 
start the computer in a Clean boot state following steps mentioned in the article below, then verify if Outlook still crashes.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Clean Boot is performed to disable all start up programs and 3rd party services on the machine to check if they are conflicting with the Office applications.

Note: Ensure to restart the computer in normal mode after this troubleshooting process.

Try the suggestions and let me know the result at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.