Default View in Word 2016

How do I make Web Layout the default view in Word 2016.  I am a novice and have no idea about macros.  I have manually edited the normal.dotm file and if I open it from the folder then it opens in Web Layout just fine, but when I open Word and click the template tp create a blank document - it opens in Page Layout.

Anyone got any suggestions?  Keep them simple please.

Question Info

Last updated August 27, 2019 Views 4,922 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Word no longer supports saving the view in a document or template. This was a design change in Word 2013. To force a certain view you will have to install auto macros as follows.

Sub AutoOpen()
ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdWebView   'Web Layout view
ActiveWindow.View.Zoom.Percentage = 100  '100% zoom
End Sub

Sub AutoNew()
ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdWebView   'Web Layout view
ActiveWindow.View.Zoom.Percentage = 100  '100% zoom
End Sub

Add these macros to the Normal template. See also http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

Note that the macro is useful even for older versions of Word, if you want to change the view for all documents: existing ones, new ones, those that you create yourself and those that you receive from other people.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP
Volunteer Moderator
~~~~
Note that MVPs do not work for Microsoft
MVP program information: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Stefan's reply is specific to your question. A more general answer is a tool that another MVP has created to save the last used view with the document:

Word 2013 - Restore open in last view used - addin

<snip>

I've just posted an add-in at http://jay-freedman.info to restore the old behavior. Download SaveView2013.zip to a convenient folder. Then

• Right-click the downloaded zip file, click Properties, and click the Unblock button in the Properties dialog if it's there.
  • Extract the file SaveView2013.dotm from the zip, and store it in the folder %appdata%\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP.
  • Start or restart Word.

A couple of notes:

(1)  If you open a document, change its view, and close it without making any other changes, the view won't be saved. You must make some change, such as inserting and deleting a space character. This is the same behavior as previous versions.

(2)  Unlike previous versions, this add-in doesn't change the view of new blank documents if you set the view in the Normal.dotm template. There's a technical reason (there is a NewDocument event, but it doesn't fire for the first blank document in a session, and I didn't want to confuse folks by only changing the view for 'some' new documents). I'll have to look at this some more.

</snip>

There are 10 kinds of people:
Those who understand binary and
those who don’t.
(hint: geek joke about binary numbers)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.