Sent attachments corrupted - Outlook 2016

Occasionally when I attach and send Excel .xlsx files, they are corrupted and can't be opened by the recipient. If they forward this email back, I am also unable to open it. I can see the attached file size is much smaller than the original. This doesn't happen all the time and is difficult to replicate, any ideas or suggestions to stop this would be appreciated. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I would like to know if the issue is only with Excel or other office applicators as well.

Let us try to save the corrupted Excel attachments on the desktop, and try opening them.

What is the size of the file?

Meanwhile, Open Excel, file---options--- trust center----trust center settings ---protected view—uncheck all the options.

In the trusted documents----check allow the documents on a network to be trusted. And click ok.

I hope the above suggestion helps. If you need further assistance, get back to us and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I haven't noticed it happening with the other office applications but I do tend to send Excel docs more often. I can't open the corrupted file from the desktop. The original file is 120kb but once the issue occurs it is reduced to 6kb.  I have changed the settings that you have provided and I will monitor and let you know if it's resolved or not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have a virus checker which adds a statement to your emails that the email has been checked for virii?  These rather pointless automatic additions can easily corrupt attachments.
--
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
MCC 2011, 2015, 2017

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No my AV doesn't do this and is configured only to check incoming mail. The corruption is happening when I send out, so hopefully the AV isn't the problem in my case.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately this has happened again since making those changes in Excel. Any other thoughts? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately this has happened again since making those changes in Excel. Any other thoughts? 

I am getting the problem described by the other 2016 subscriber both in excel and word.  9 out of 10 times the file go through fine but 1 out of 10 it is a much smaller file and can not be opened by the recipient.  Most of these files are saved to an older version of word or excel so that the recipient can open them with an earlier version of software.

I am not doing anything different in the times that it is a problem and when it is not.  The only thing I can think to do is look at the outgoing email and if the attachment is smaller than the saved file on the computer it means it was corrupted in the outgoing process and you need to resend.

Is there anyone from Microsoft that has a solution to this problem other than having to send the same email twice with an apology.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having similar issue.  Sender is using Office 2016 products on Win10 Edu.  Attachments are corrupted and file size is different than original (smaller).  Trust Center protected view settings do not solve problem.  Very frustrating.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI,

Let us refer to the post of mdaniels5070 replied on March 27, 2012 in the following link and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/the-word-and-excel-documents-i-have-revived-in/122e06ee-49cd-4b63-86b1-62a5cbef878f?page=2

Hope this information helps you. Please let us know if you need additional information.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found in my case it was the Adobe Send and Track plug-in.  Turn it off and everything works fine.  Found by trial and error.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I found in my case it was the Adobe Send and Track plug-in.  Turn it off and everything works fine.  Found by trial and error.

This same plugin caused an identical issue for me. Thanks so much for the tip!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 14, 2021 Views 12,772 Applies to: