FIXED 3/4/16: Problems with POP accounts in Outlook 2016: Email is deleted from server or duplicated in Inbox

UPDATE - 3/9/16

------------------

Hi everyone,

We're locking this discussion thread, which has grown too large to be manageable; we are concerned that potential issues are getting lost in the comments.

If you haven't already, please follow the steps in KB 3145116 to update your copy of Office. If you still have trouble after that, verify that the update installed correctly (you should be on version 16.0.6568.2036). Keep in mind that after applying the update, emails may be duplicated one last time - but this should only be a one-time thing, if it happens at all. The KB article provides steps on how to remove those duplicates under the More Information section of the article.

If you've done all of the above and are still seeing duplicate emails or server deletion issues, we ask that you start a new thread in the Outlook 2016 forum so we can follow up with you individually. To do that, click Participate > Ask a Question at the top of this page. The more detail you can provide in the new thread, the better (symptom you're seeing, version of Outlook 2016 you're on, etc.)

Thank you.

UPDATE - 3/4/16

------------------

Hi everyone,

We’re in the process of rolling out an Office update now (version 16.0.6568.2036), which will fix the following POP3 bugs:

• After Outlook downloads your email, all the email messages on the server are deleted from the Inbox.
  • Email messages are downloaded multiple times in Outlook, causing duplicate items.

To get the update immediately, open Outlook 2016, and then click File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now.

Note  After the update, Outlook may download all email one final time, which isn't ideal, but may be necessary to fully fix things. If this occurs and email is duplicated in your Inbox, you can use the method described in the "More Information" section in this article (KB 3145116) to remove the duplicates.

ORIGINAL POST - 2/26/16

-----------------------------

We want to let you know about issues we're seeing with Outlook 2016 and POP3 accounts. If you have the most recent Office 365 update installed (version 16.0.6568.2025), your emails may get deleted from the server or you may receive duplicate emails in your inbox.

The Outlook team is aware of the problem and actively investigating the issues. We'll update this post and KB 3145116 as more information becomes available. You can click on the Subscribe button at the bottom of this page to receive notifications whenever this post is updated.

For now, please try workaround steps provided in this article (KB 3145116):

• Configuring your email account to use IMAP settings instead of POP3 (only if your email provider supports this).
    OR
  • Reverting to an earlier version of Office 2016 via uninstall of latest update.

IMPORTANT If you disabled the "Remove from server after <x> days" option in Outlook 2016 to fix the delete email issue you're probably now getting duplicate emails in your inbox. To avoid both problems, please re-enable the "Remove from server" option and use one of the other workarounds listed in the KB article.

Thanks for your patience in this matter. We are treating this issue with the highest priority as we work to fix the problem.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 17, 2019 Views 36,187 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The deleted messages are going to Trash in your online server.  This is true if you are on the ATT server.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the Outlook 101 J!!  I was trying “cmd.exeand” (iso cmd.exe and) so can’t wait to try again in the morning.  When closing down the rogue laptop this afternoon it wanted me to choose between “update and install”; “update and close down” or “sleep”.  I chose “sleep” (just for tonight at least).  Will keep you posted!

Hello,

Finally able to roll back to previous version.

First attempts "Denied" so tried once more and TaDa! Took about 10 mins.

AT&T was kind enough to try and restore deleted emails from Yahoo server. Only about a weeks worth can be retrieved and those are now tucked away in another folder.

Phone is now downloading.

Laptop is now downloading.

Trying to untangle the past week.

I am Not putting an April 1 reminder to uncheck the office updates...

Fool me once.....but not twice.

Will be watching to see if the "Fix" is really a Fix or another round of chaos.

Since I am hopelessly behind in client responses to Business - I am putting an away message up to direct all complaints to Microsoft Facebook...

Hope you all recover well,

Signed,

In the Weeds since 2/24

I noticed this sometimes too. But it seems to have gone away before trying the downgrade.

Hi everyone,

I have an important message for you from the Outlook team:

We have a fix for both POP3 bugs: duplicate emails and server-side mail deletion. The fix should roll out in the next couple of days, and once it’s available, we’ll let you know.

Please allow us to take this moment to apologize to everyone who has been affected by these bugs. We do not take lightly the trust our customers place in our application, we understand the pain this bug has caused, and we know we have work to do to earn back your trust. We’re sorry. Outlook’s senior managers are aware of this bug, and our team has been working around the clock to implement and validate the fix. We explored options for pushing an update more quickly, but the options we had available to us didn’t fully resolve the bugs, so we focused instead on developing a full solution, which took more time than we would have liked. Once the fix is fully deployed, our team will be doing a full management review of what went wrong, and how we can do better.

Thanks for your patience here. I'll post another update just as soon as the fix is available.

Anneliese

Hopefully, the fix will BR an automatic update and not require multiple steps &/or  long strings of data to enter.

Also, what assurances do we will not lose emails or gave them deleted. 

What about the technicians at Microsoft deleting folders and files that need to be recovered; for those without IT savvy, are you going to assign a Senior expert that will personally resolve those problems?

Lastly, there are multiple other issues such as a defective SEARCH function I have found using Outlook 2016 with brand new Windows10 Dell top of the line computer (none of any of above issues existed with myXP computer with Office Pro 2010).

I am not convinced that part of some of this may even be the incompatibility of 2016 OFFICE HOME & BUSINESS with Office Professional .pst files. 

Be careful with assuming that--when I was on the phone with MS support--it stopped downloading multiple emails and then started again.  My experience with the problem that it was intermittent.
Glad we have someone from the outlook team responding here.   BUT why did it take you all so so so very long to acknowledge that your working on a fix?     You could have had our patience a week ago, but it's a bit to late to ask us for our patients now..............  just my thoughts
SK
I appreciate that MS is working on the issue and finally has admitted that there is an issue.  Again my frustration with phone support was that they basically were not truthful--they applied fixes that they knew would not work-which cause great consternation on my part--and one of the techs finally admitted while he was applying the "fix" that they hadn't worked out the bug--I must admit, i was somewhat surprised at that response and action-the mantra should first be do no further harm.

Just to clarify. Can Outlook be considered a standalone application even though it might be bundled with Office Pro 2016 for example or are there 'hooks' into the other MS office applications with which it is bundled?

To those giving the Outlook team grief, it's worth remembering that none of us like to admit our mistakes even though crisis management 101 suggests its better to get ahead of the curve ... I, for one, would rather have the team take their time to fully address the issue and not compound the issue by rushing to a partial solution ... just a thought!

Tony