Question

Q: outlook 365 2016 version old emails keep downloading repeatedly, problem started since I upgraded to 2016 from 2013 This thread is locked from future replies

I recently opted to upgrade to outlook 2016,  since my old emails (30k of them 4 GB) are downloading for the third time.   how can I stop this?  i did change my ISP  before I upgraded to 2016.  while still with 2013,  i had downloaded 30k  emails once.   How can I stop this repeated downloads?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Amjad,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office community.

Before we proceed I would require some more information to assist you better.

1.  What type of email account are you working on?
     Verify the same from File > Account Settings > Account Settings > check under Email tab.

2.  Did you create a new profile on a new computer or did you transfer the old .pst files to your current computer?

Downloading duplicate email can also occur due to data file corruption, hence you may setup the email account in a new profile, wait until all the emails are downloaded and check if it duplicates.

Let us remove and re-add the email account in Outlook and verify the results.

Refer to the following link ‘How to create profile and set up an e-mail account in Outlook ‘and check if it helps:

If issue still occurs, I suggest you to temporarily disable the email scanner.

Disclaimer: You must enable the email scanner after the troubleshooting process is once done.

Hope it helps. Reply with results and necessary information to help you better.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pushyanth K S ,

Starting from today, when I was presented with the "new features" list of the Office applications (black theme, etc.) my Outlook started to repeatedly download older e-mails mostly from GMail (used as a POP account) and other POP accounts. I have two devices that are presenting the same behaviour, one is Windows 7 32 bits, the other is Windows 10 x64, both with Office 365 Small Business Premium, 32 bits version installed.

No new programs or other changes in the configuration of the computers happened.

Please advise ASAP, I have already 6 copies of each e-mail I got over the past few months. Also, please do not advise for creating a new profile, I see that this is the common answer for most of the problems, but when somebody buys a product doesn't buy it in order to create more work for him, but to help him to sort the main work he has to carry on.

Many thanks,

Florin

Florin

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem it just keeps downloading old emails that are already there i upgraded from 2013 to 2016 this is very frustrating my email type is a POP/SMTP. some help would be great

Thanks

Jordan

Sorry this didn't help.

26 people were helped by this reply

I have the same problem it just keeps downloading old emails that are already there i upgraded from 2013 to 2016 this is very frustrating my email type is a POP/SMTP. some help would be great

This is something that is being reported since the last OL'2016 update to version 16.0.6568.2025.

Option would be to revert to the previous OL'2016 build using these steps

Revert to prior version
         a) From OL'2016 menu 
                File --> Office Account --> Update Options --> Disable updates
         b) Set a reminder on your calendar to re-enable updates ~April 1
         c) open the <command prompt> as an administrator
               for W8/W10 - right-click Start button --> select Command Prompt (Admin)
               for W7 - type CMD in Start search box --> right click --> Run as adminsitrator
         d) paste/run the following in the command prompt - 2 lines, each followed by <return>:
             cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun
             officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068

Reference for  O16 version numbers, 
    https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt592918.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP]
"Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt"
http://www.contactgenie.com
http://www.contactgenie.info

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the answer, but I am a bit puzzled...

So, I am paying for a solution from Microsoft that, instead of helping me to work less on maintaining the computer, and enable me to work more on my job, does exactly the opposite... Wouldn't be nicer if Microsoft takes care to not send out not tested software?

Of course my wonder is about Microsoft, don't get me wrong, I am really appreciating your help. I used your solution Karl, hope it will sort the problem, thank you for taking the time for this.

Florin

Florin

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Karl,

I can confirm that the fix works as expected, so Microsoft has to fast correct the changes they made.

Many thanks,

Florin

Florin

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi - unfortunately this solution didn't work for me.  Any other suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi - unfortunately this solution didn't work for me.  Any other suggestions?

No idea what "didn't work for me" means specifically - as in

(1) you couldn't complete reverting to the previous version?

(2) the problem occurs using the previous build (16.0.6366.2068)? (which, if the case, you are so far the only one if the previous build is the one you're actually using). If you're stating that you still have all the same issues using the previous version that were only introduced in the latest release, you're going to need to be very, very specific

FWIW - I updated the instructions in my previous reply so you may want to try those again if the original ones didn't work

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP]
"Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt"
http://www.contactgenie.com
http://www.contactgenie.info

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your response and apologies for the lack of detail in my note.  I was able to successfully rollback to 16.0.6366.2068 - I actually did it twice, since I saw your solution was working for everybody else - but unfortunately after successfully rolling back, the symptoms remain and outlook 2016 still downloads old mails from gmail.  

Given this worked for everybody else, I've tried numerous other things to no avail:

- disabled Norton anti virus and Norton firewall (I'm running Norton Premier 360)

- run scanpst multiple times on my p until only minor inconsistencies were found (I had hoped maybe the PST was corrupted during the Outlook update, causing it to not track which mails were already downloaded)

- deleted and recreated my pop3 account from scratch

- updated Outlook to 16.0.6568.2025 and back down to 16.0.6366.2068 again - and same thing - old mails keep coming down. 

It doesn't make any sense to me - since I wasn't having this issue prior to yesterday, so I don't think I was experiencing it with the previous version.  I may rollback to a couple earlier versions just to remove any doubt though.  Let me know if you have any other advice.

FWIW, I'm running Outlook 2016 on Win 10 x64. 

Thanks for your assistance.  Let me know what other info I can provide.

Best,

Russ

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Karl,

I believe that for better understanding, you should expand the line:

paste/run the following in the command prompt:
             C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun>officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068

to

paste/run the following in the command prompt - 2 lines, each followed by <return>:
     cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2068

Many thanks,

Florin

Florin

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info