Outlook 2016 Does not update filtered results when I move a group of emails to another folder.

I have a computer running Windows 7 that has Outlook 2016 installed on it.  My email profile is linked to my Microsoft 365 account. 

Let me explain my set-up.  Under my inbox I have numerous subfolders.  As I receive incoming emails into my inbox folder, I move them into the corresponding subfolders. If I select a grouping of emails at the same time and move them to another folder (By either drag and drop, or right click move) They disappear from the inbox section and go to the target folder no problem. 

Now lets say I need to filter the results in my inbox folder.  I type something into the search box which filters the emails.  When I select multiple emails and attempt to move them, the emails do move to the target folder,  however it doesn't update the source filter in realtime and the emails will appear as if they didn't move. 

Before anybody tries to tell me that it's because my filter is searching the entire mailbox that is not the case. 

Yes, the target folders are subfolders of the Inbox, so doing a search of the entire mailbox and moving a group of emails to a subfolder will still technically keep them in the current filter.  However, If I do a search\filter from just the current folder option the selected emails still do not update from my source filter.

If I move the emails, remove the filter, and then search the same filter again the emails don't appear anymore, so they are moving.  The changes are just not updating in a realtime fashion from my search. 

If I only select one email and move it from my filtered search, it will update the list in realtime.  It only seems to happen when I choose a grouping of emails. 

When I do this from outlook 2013 it updates just fine.  There had to be some change in 2016 that either removed the realtime function, or has somehow damaged it.

Has anybody else noticed this issue?  Is there possibly a registry hack I can do as a work around?  Is there an update that solves this problem? 

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated February 18, 2020 Views 4,588 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Tracy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

A quick question before we proceed.

How is your email account configured in Outlook? Is it by POP, IMAP, Exchange Active Sync or Microsoft Exchange Server?

I suggest you to check in others folders of the Outlook to move, apply filter and verify the results.

Do you see the same problem if you start Outlook in Safe Mode?

Let us start the Outlook application in safe mode and check if that works.

Step 1: Press Windows + R on the keyboard.

Step 2: In Run Windows, type ‘outlook /safe’ and press enter.

If the above Method works then disable add-in(s) by following the steps from the below link:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Why-do-I-get-a-stopped-working-message-when-I-start-my-Office-application-52bd7985-4e99-4a35-84c8-2d9b8301a2fa?CorrelationId=62254315-d7de-48e0-b6b1-089998f4772a&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Keep us posted on the status of the issue and I’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well first of my name is not Tracy, thanks for just copying and pasting a response.

The profile was first created by going to mail from the control panel, then choosing add profile and then typing in the email address and password used to log into my 365 web portal.  Once you add that profile your .ost and whatnot is built and shows up when you start outlook.  So whatever the default is in this situation is how the mailbox is configured. 

I already tried safe mode, doesn't make a difference.

I've verified numerous times that no matter how or what folder things are moved from or too it doesn't update the filtered results in real-time.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same issue, ever since upgrading to Outlook 2016.  Safe mode does nothing also.  Under File - Options - Search, under "Include only results from", I have changed the default from "Current Folder. Current mailbox when searching from the inbox" to "Current folder" only.   While the initial search works as expected, if you highlight multiple emails or drag even 1 single email from the search results to a folder in your folder tree on the left, it never refreshes and continues to appear in both places!  Even if you clear and re-run the search, it still shows up like it's in the Inbox!

As proof this is a bug, you can right-click in the grey title bar area and open the Field Chooser, then drag "In Folder" to search results screen.  You will see it show name of the other folder you just moved it to, even though right above the title bar it shows it's only looking in the "Current folder"!

Note I am using hosted Exchange through Microsoft (they are the service provider), so this could be a bug with either Microsoft's servers, Exchange, ActiveSync, or cached Exchange mode.

Outlook 2013 configured identically on the same computer / hosted Exchange setup did not have this issue.

Microsoft, can you please investigate / fix this bug??

39 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here, it's quite annoying.  Hopefully someone fixes this soon.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. This was not a problem in Outlook 2013, or in any previous version that I can recall. I thought it was related to the filter options so I changed the search option to only include results from the current folder. That does work but when I move items from a filtered view, the filtered results don't update.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have the exact same problem - and it works perfectly in Outlook 2013. Any ideas, Microsoft, when a patch can be made available?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem... Any news?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem -- any update ?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

same here.... waiting for months now for a fix!!!

Sorry this didn't help.