Disappearing Ink problem in OneNote 2016 + Surface Pro 3

Hi,

I just upgraded to Office 2016 via the Office 365 subscription. Working on a Surface Pro 3 and Windows 10. I am mostly using OneNote 2016 to take handwritten notes using the Surface Pen.

The disappearing ink issue, (that was a problem in the OneNote 2013 edition, until it was fixed), seems to be back: parts of written stuff disappear. I was writing in OneNote 2016, and out of nowhere, parts of what I had written earlier disappeared. Though the issue is not as severe as it was earlier, when the disappearing was very frequent.

This needs to be fixed ASAP, it renders OneNote not very useful for note-taking!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Seen other users reporting this too. Suggest you to update the drivers as well as install updates to office. You can too start the system in cleanboot to test if there are conflicts.
Truth is still truth, even if you don't believe in it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same problem as original poster. 

Disappearing pen ink is a catastrophic failure for anyone using Onenote for hand written note taking and makes Onenote completely useless.

Spent this morning taking pen notes, only to find later that portions of it are missing making the equations/maths notes useless.

An application that looses information like this is totally unacceptable. Will be downgrading immediately.

I recommend others that use hand written notes DO NOT INSTALL Onenote until this has been resolved.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Were you successful in rolling back to Office 2013? I don't see any way of doing it :(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Eventually.

Officially there is no downgrade path to those on Office 365 that have installed 2016 (i.e. there is no going back). But it can be done by contacting Microsoft Support directly via the answers desk and either have them remotely access your PC, or ask for a link to office 2013.

You'll need to uninstall:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501

Though I had to do the total manual uninstall here as the normal uninstall left components there which prevent 2013 reinstalling:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Remove-Office-2016-or-Office-365-4e2904ea-25c8-4544-99ee-17696bb3027b

Lost all configuration changes and settings and it was a complete hassle, but at least now I don't have pen ink disappearing.

I'm astonished at this failure by Microsoft. Not only was this a well reported issue in the preview version, but it is on Microsoft's own PC, their own latest operating system, and their own Onenote software, yet they still released this software with this bug that makes Onenote fundamentally useless for the key purpose it is marketed with the Surface. 

So apparently, Microsoft, the world's biggest software company can't get their own software working properly on their own PC that runs their own operating system.

It would be good if someone from Microsoft gave some explanation and an update on this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have this issue on my Surface Pro 2 with Windows 10 and Office 2016 (Office 365).

I noticed it this week after looking through my maths notes - I was shocked to see how mangled they look! It happens seemingly randomly, I couldn't isolate the problem in any way.

I switched to the modern app Version of OneNote - which, as we all know, is seriously crippled compared to OneNote Desktop. But at least it doesn't delete random parts of the current sheet...

I hope Microsoft and the OneNote Team get their act together soon - they market the OneNote as the perfect companion for students while being perfectly aware of this fatal flaw for many months now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. To the answers desk then.

You are right, I almost screamed out in frustration mid-class when my equations started disappearing. For God's sake, how can they let such a bug creep in, AFTER it has been reported, detected and fixed in a previous version.

A day of testing (maybe a couple of hours, in fact) would reveal this bug. Just get the Note-taking software right, on their own hardware, that's all they had to do, and they mess up again and again.

Desperate to get back to the old version now. Good to know it can be done.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

We are working on the ink disappearing bug. I hope to have an update on the status of the bug by the end of next week (October 2nd).

- Mavis (Microsoft OneNote team)

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks so much for this; having to alter my workflow due to disappearing ink in OneNote has been most consternating. I look forward to the bug fix. I have also seen that some screen clippings do not transfer well between MUI and desktop versions; I wonder if the problems are related.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the update, Mavis. Hope you resolve it soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Mavis - without the update the product is unusable. I have noted that it appears to be worse when used whilst online. Having said that it also appears to be a matter of degree.

Attached my latest frustration - if it helps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 5, 2021 Views 5,207 Applies to: