Custom install gone?

Hello,

I noticed that when I installed Office 2016 Pro it immediately installed the full package with all the apps including the ones that I don't need (OneNote, Publisher, etc.).

Isn't there a way to select during the installation which apps you want to install and which apps you don't? I remember Office 2013 did give you that option.

Question Info

Last updated August 7, 2019 Views 6,449 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Got me scratching my head on this one.

Maybe it's only available in the vla.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Pat
As a responsible member of the community, please mark the reply that has resolved your issue. Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

That thread is at least 50% wrong you can install O13 to a different path and modify what gets installed.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

After much trial and error, I got it to work for me.

First I had to run the Office scrub vbs file (available from Fix It here: https://support.office.microsoft.com/en-us/article/Fix-Office-365-Office-2016-or-Office-2013-install-errors-54554bb8-aa94-43c7-a685-408dd9868c0b) to remove all traces of any Office installs on my computer (I'm running Win10x64 Pro & Ent).

Reboot

1. I opened the ISO from MSDN and extracted that to D:\Archive\Office2016\ which created subdirectories off of that of \Office\data

-- Note that if you don't have the iso yet, you can can ask setup to download the required files, just skip ahead to step 3 below---

2. rename D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe to whatever the heck you like.

3. I downloaded the Office 2016 Deployment Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117) and extracted the zip to D:\Archive\Office2016\.  This will place setup.exe and configuration.xml into that directory (this is why we renamed setup.exe above).  I edited the XML file and put the following in it (deleting everything else that was in it):

<Configuration>

<Add SourcePath="D:\Archive\Office2016\" OfficeClientEdition="64" >
  <Product ID="proplusretail">
  <Language ID="en-us" />
  <ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
  <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />
  <ExcludeApp ID="Grove" />
  <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
  <ExcludeApp ID="skypeforbusiness" />
  </Product>
  </Add>

<Logging Name="OfficeSetup.txt" Path="%temp%" />

</Configuration>

***NOTE that I wasn't sure about the naming convention for Skype for Business/Lync so I put them both in the config file - I still don't know which one is needed but the above config successfully did NOT install Skype for Business***

4. If you don't have the ISO then run the following:
D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe /download configuration.xml

that will create the sub directories and download the files necessary for your desired configuration

5. Now, whether this is from the ISO or the downloaded files, run:
D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe /configure configuration.xml

bingo, bango, bongo, you've got a customized install.

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Office 2016 Pro is a "click to run" installation.  It is an all-or-nothing installer.  To get the "customize" installation you need a "traditional' MSI installer.  MS has moved almost completely away from MSI installations. This is a step back to the dark ages of "green screen", aka Mainframe, computing.  Central IT, MS in this case, is in total control.

The example the PGM554 captured and showed is explicitly for Office 2016 Professional Plus.  In 2013 it was the only remaining MSI installer I was aware of.  It appears to be that way again in 2016.  I have not been able to find that installer in the place I got it from formerly, technet evaluation center.  

I'm hoping PGM554 has a link we can use that he will post here <hint hint .... grin>

The instructions that BRADM posted are intended for corporate installations. But it may be possible for consumers to use the technique also ... Here are some parallel instructions for using the deployment tool to create a customized installation:

Customize Microsoft Office Click-to-Run (C2R) Setup to Install Selected Programs Only (2013 / 2016) askvg.

http://www.askvg.com/tip-customize-microsoft-office-click-to-run-c2r-setup-to-install-selected-programs-only/

This tool is intended for Business Office Administrators.  Apparently it may also be used for consumer Office bundles. (I have not tried it myself, rohn 007)

There are 10 kinds of people:
Those who understand binary and
those who don’t.
(hint: geek joke about binary numbers)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry this didn't help.

After much trial and error, I got it to work for me.

First I had to run the Office scrub vbs file (available from Fix It here: https://support.office.microsoft.com/en-us/article/Fix-Office-365-Office-2016-or-Office-2013-install-errors-54554bb8-aa94-43c7-a685-408dd9868c0b) to remove all traces of any Office installs on my computer (I'm running Win10x64 Pro & Ent).

Reboot

1. I opened the ISO from MSDN and extracted that to D:\Archive\Office2016\ which created subdirectories off of that of \Office\data

-- Note that if you don't have the iso yet, you can can ask setup to download the required files, just skip ahead to step 3 below---

2. rename D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe to whatever the heck you like.

3. I downloaded the Office 2016 Deployment Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117) and extracted the zip to D:\Archive\Office2016\.  This will place setup.exe and configuration.xml into that directory (this is why we renamed setup.exe above).  I edited the XML file and put the following in it (deleting everything else that was in it):

<Configuration>

<Add SourcePath="D:\Archive\Office2016\" OfficeClientEdition="64" >
  <Product ID="proplusretail">
  <Language ID="en-us" />
  <ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
  <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />
  <ExcludeApp ID="Grove" />
  <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
  <ExcludeApp ID="skypeforbusiness" />
  </Product>
  </Add>

<Logging Name="OfficeSetup.txt" Path="%temp%" />

</Configuration>

***NOTE that I wasn't sure about the naming convention for Skype for Business/Lync so I put them both in the config file - I still don't know which one is needed but the above config successfully did NOT install Skype for Business***

4. If you don't have the ISO then run the following:
D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe /download configuration.xml

that will create the sub directories and download the files necessary for your desired configuration

5. Now, whether this is from the ISO or the downloaded files, run:
D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe /configure configuration.xml

bingo, bango, bongo, you've got a customized install.

Bingo, bango, bongo, you're a hero.

One question, do you HAVE to extract it to the  D:\Archive\Office2016\ path you mentioned or can I practically choose any directory (a folder on the Desktop) to extract it to?

Sorry this didn't help.

"...do you HAVE to extract it to the  D:\Archive\Office2016\ path"

NO!  I just showed the full path I was using because other instructions out there (ie @ the askvg site) show a path with \office\ at the end and that will only work if you use the /download option.  Also, I should have noted that my configuration.xml file specifies the Office Professional Plus version (<Product ID="proplusretail">)  That will have to be changed depending upon the version you wish to install (eg: ="professionalretail" for the regular Pro version).

If you've got the source files already, you can open up .\data\c2rfireflydata.xml and inside there you'll find all of the possible product id names (I have no idea if they will all successfully install using this method).

Glad this helped you.

Sorry this didn't help.

The example the PGM554 captured and showed is explicitly for Office 2016 Professional Plus.  In 2013 it was the only remaining MSI installer I was aware of.  It appears to be that way again in 2016.  I have not been able to find that installer in the place I got it from formerly, technet evaluation center.   

The info PGM554 provided was explicitly for Office 2013, *NOT* 2016.  There is no MSI installer for 2016 and according to MS they will not be providing one as 2016 only comes as C2R (as is evidenced by the MSDN ISO). Maybe they release a MSI with the VL release on the 1st but they've explicitly said that won't be the case (mind you, they regularly contradict themselves).

The instructions I gave should work with any number of types of installs - though I've got no intention of testing it, the c2rfireflydata.xml contains a list of possible product ID values and I know the method I showed above will will with a number of them (the various Pro and Pro plus versions and I've heard it will also work with the Home installs but I can't confirm.).  The instructions at askvg won't work for an extracted ISO of 2016 (well, they didn't for me).

Sorry this didn't help.

"...do you HAVE to extract it to the  D:\Archive\Office2016\ path"

NO!  I just showed the full path I was using because other instructions out there (ie @ the askvg site) show a path with \office\ at the end and that will only work if you use the /download option.  Also, I should have noted that my configuration.xml file specifies the Office Professional Plus version (<Product ID="proplusretail">)  That will have to be changed depending upon the version you wish to install (eg: ="professionalretail" for the regular Pro version).

If you've got the source files already, you can open up .\data\c2rfireflydata.xml and inside there you'll find all of the possible product id names (I have no idea if they will all successfully install using this method).

Glad this helped you.

It worked! I only have the needed apps now. Thank you guys for your help!

One last question, will there be any problems regarding installing Office updates from Windows Update in the future since I've changed the path where the Office installation files are? I recall reading a post from someone that stated that this could be a potential issue, I can't find the link anymore though.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm going to see if the vla installer is any different on the vla.

From past experience ,some versions of office would behave differently depending upon the sku when it came to things like administrative installs.

I've got a couple of folks I've worked with in the past that are MVP's ,maybe they can kick this up stairs and see what's up.

Knowing MS,I can't say this would be completely out of character by complicating the install process beyond belief. 

Sorry this didn't help.