Why was Pivot Table and Pivot Chart View Removed in Access 2013?

I am an accountant and a system manager, and I have used MS Access for years as an office automation, report writing, and application development tool.  I depend on it and I use it every day to query and report from large business system databases.  The Pivot Table/Pivot chart functionality was one of the best and most useful enhancements ever made to Access, and I have created several applications that use it as a central feature.  Now I feel like Microsoft has pulled the rug out from under me as a developer.  Excel doesn't handle large number of records like Access.

It blows my mind that Microsoft would pull this important functionality out of the app and take a giant step backward.    New releases are supposed to mean enhancements, not degradations. 

I have heard rumors that Microsoft was worried that MS Access was too good, and would compete with a new Business Intelligence tool they are introducing.  The least they can do for developers is to offer the pivot table functionality as an add-in. 

Please confirm for me what the reason was for pulling this important functionality, and please share this feedback with the Access development team. RESTORE PIVOT TABLE FUNCTIONALITY TO ACCESS!

May I suggest that you go to http://access.uservoice.com. There is a suggestion there to restore Pivot table functionality and you can vote on it. 

As to why it was pulled the feedback I have gotten was that it was a matter of resources. Changes were made between 2010 and 2013 that would have broken the feature and the resources were not available to fix it. Remember that Access is part of the Office Suite. And therefore many functions are meant to be shared between apps. The thinking as I am aware that data can be dumped into Excel and pivots used there.

Hope this helps,
Scott<>
Blog: http://scottgem.wordpress.com
Microsoft Access MVP since 2007

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2020 Views 1,705 Applies to: