Word Docs/Excel Opening as Read Only after MS Update

Team after this weeks update from Microsoft all my Word and Excel documents that I create save fine, but when I open them they open in Read only mode.  I have to keep performing a save as with a new file name to get by the issue.    I also get an error that I had not received  before when opening some older Word and Excel documents.  The error reads "There was a problem sending the command to the program".  I click on OK and the error goes away and the document opens, but again in Read only mode.  HELP....

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 119,634 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

As I understand when you save and open the document, the documents open in read only mode and you also receive an error message while opening the documents. Let me assist you with the issue.

Follow the steps mentioned and check if it helps:

Step 1: Check if Office applications are running in compatibility mode:

·         Browse to the location mentioned below:

For Win7 32 bit:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\ClentX86 \Root\Office15

For Win7 64 bit:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX64\Root\Office15

·         Right click on WINWORD.EXE< Properties< Compatibility

·         Uncheck the box Run this Program in Compatibility Mode, ensure you also click on the option change settings for all users tab at the bottom of the same screen

·         Click on Apply and Ok.

·         Open Word and check if it works.

Note: If Word works fine then follow the above steps for Excel applications (EXCEL.EXE)

Step 2: Check the option to save the Word or Excel files in read only mode is check:

·         Open Word document.

·         Click on File< Save As< Browse to the location where you want to save the file.

·         Click on arrow mark pointing downwards next to Tools and click on General Options.

·         Ensure the option Read-only recommended is unchecked and click Ok.

·         Now try to save the document, re-pen the saved document and check.

Step 3: Repair Office 2013 installation:

If the above steps do not fix the issue then repair Office 2013 installation and check. Refer the link mentioned to repair Office 2013 installation:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/project-help/repair-or-remove-office-HA010357402.aspx

I hope the above suggestion helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

39 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.