Sorry I bought Office 2013

I think I made a huge mistake. At least, I see it as such right now. Maybe, someday, in the far distant future, I might think on it differently. I managed to get MS Office 2013. I hate it. I can't figure it out. They took all the functionality out of it. It opens to some stupid blue and white page that says Open, and has an arrow facing left. I can't find how to find my documents to view or work on. And that ugly, horrid, absolutely stupid "ribbon" is the worst mistake they have ever made -- except maybe for Vista. And there's something on here about "account". Whatever that is. When I did find a way to find a document to look at, half the page was taken up with that "ribbon" thing that is absolutely ugly and a waste of space. What was wrong with the nice little tool bar that had what was needed on it? Is there a way to set up my own personal toolbar? I haven't found a way yet. I tried to do a personalization, and manged to hide that ridiculous "ribbon" so it's not cluttering up my screen. I added the icons I want on the top, but when I click the folder that is supposed to show me my documents, it takes me out to that blue and white page, but not to the documents. I have to figure that out, someday. Otherwise, this is a complete waste of money. I really should demand my money back.  And I haven't even looked at Excel yet.

I'd love to get rid of the ribbon thing and get my toolbar back.  And, have a way of finding my documents without having 5 steps to get there.  I want to just open the little folder and have my documents there to search through.  Is there a way to do this?  If not, I would gladly trade Office 2013 for Office 2003!  At least that was a very functional, easy to use program.  This is one definitely not intuitive.  I'm not an amateur with computers.  I think of myself as being relatively competent. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I Think Word 2013 is better than Word 201.MS Office 2013 is completely included with SkyDrive, which means you’re able to access and perform actions on your files; anyway of where you’re located, as long as you have an Internet connection.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

“One of the customizations I do to the QAT is to add the "Open Recent File" command to it. “ 

Of the 20-some buttons I added to the QAT in Office 2010, the one I used more than all the others put together was Open Recent File.  My employer just force-fed us Office 2013, and the Open Recent File command has, apparently, gone away.  I’m hoping you can tell me you found a way to get it back. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I still see it on my 2013 QAT.  Actually it is a 2010 QAT that my 2013 is sharing.

I confirm that I do NOT see that command in the "All commands" list. Unfortunate omission!
Save random strangers
Stay Home

Stay COVID Safe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to View Tab> Macros > View Macro.

Type in a name (OpenRecentStuff) and press Create. Add this in between the sub lines:

CommandBars.ExecuteMso("FileOpenUsingBackstage")

Save the macro.

Then go to Options > Customize Ribbon and pick Macro for the Choose commands from dropdown. 

Pick your new macro from the list and add it to the desired spot in the ribbon. It's not perfect, but it does bring up a recent documents list.

Rename the macro and pick an icon to make it less ugly. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the info.  You’re right, this is better than nothing (at least I can read the whole filename), but it’s not as useful as the OpenRecentFile command.  That showed many more lines per page, plus it showed recent folders. 

Microsoft had already invested the effort to write the command and design an icon for it, what did they gain by removing that single command from a list that has about 1748 other commands? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I AM ONLY AN OCCASSIONAL USER OF OFFICE AND EVERYTIME I USE IT I AM TOLD MY SUBSCRIPTION HAS EXPIRED----ON DECEMBER--2013. I'VE USED IT PERHAPS 3 TIMSE FOR  LETTERS.

THIS BORDERS ON THE REDICULOUS. WHAT'S HAPPENING TO MICROSOFT?

PLEASE FIX IT OR CREDIT MY ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!!!

GEORGEH. HOWARD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry about your problem.

The thing is, the Office 365 subscription is an annual subscription in most cases. In all cases, it is by time, not number of uses.

If you only write letters, you might prefer OfficeLibre which is free.
Volunteering to "pay forward" to return help I've received in the Microsoft user community.]

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal website: http://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

“One of the customizations I do to the QAT is to add the "Open Recent File" command to it. “ 

Of the 20-some buttons I added to the QAT in Office 2010, the one I used more than all the others put together was Open Recent File.  My employer just force-fed us Office 2013, and the Open Recent File command has, apparently, gone away.  I’m hoping you can tell me you found a way to get it back. 

Given Rohn's experience that the command can be placed on the QAT in Word 2010, if you have Word 2010, you could save this as a QAT modification in a .dotx template and put that template in your Word 2013 Startup Folder.

I created such an Add-In (no macros). It can be downloaded from Open Recent File QAT Add-In for Word 2013.
Volunteering to "pay forward" to return help I've received in the Microsoft user community.]

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal website: http://addbalance.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is insane. I shouldn't have to do any of this to use Office 2013.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You don't.

You just have to do customizations if you can't get used to working with the "new and improved" UI.
Save random strangers
Stay Home

Stay COVID Safe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 28, 2020 Views 10,062 Applies to: