Q: Office 2013 - Word Error (24) - Excel - Not enough memory Unable to open Word or Excel Files via Explorer This thread is locked from future replies

I am unable to open Word or Excel Files via Explorer

I am running Windows 8, Office 2013 Professional Plus and I am having the following problems:

1. I originally installed Office 2013 x64 but needed Visio which is not supported on x64

2. I uninstalled x64 and installed Office 2013 Professional Plus x86

3. I continue to have the following problem:

- If I double click on a Word file in Explorer I get the error message " Microsoft 15.0 Sorry, something went wrong and Word was unable to start (24) and sometimes the file opens and sometimes it doesn't. The error always appears.

- If I right click on the file and click Open the file opens without the error

- If I double click on an Excel file I get the following error: "Not enough memory to run Microsoft Excel. Please close other applications and try again"

- If I right click on the file and click open the file opens and then the error appears

I have tried the following

- Uninstall / reinstall - I even manually cleaned the registry files and am still getting the error

- The Fix it as recommended in other posts

- Manually removed all files / folders of previous Office 2013 install prior to installing a new version

This is a brand new laptop and I am also running Office 365.

Please help this is very annoying.

I FINALLY fixed my problem - Posting my solution in case it helps anyone else

As a reference I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit

This is what worked for me:

1. Searched the registry (via regedit) for any reference to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15 and changed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15

2. Went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
  3. Right click Excel.exe
  4. Click "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
  5. Click "Try Recommended Settings"
  6. Went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
  7. Right click WinWord.exe
  8. Click "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
  9. Click "Try Recommended Settings"
  10. Clicked on the excel file I was getting the error messages previously
  11. Error did not popup, Excel launched
  12. I did receive some error message about licensing
  13. Went to Control Panel --> Programs
  14. Clicked on Office Professional 2013
  15. Clicked Repair
  16. Issue fixed!!
NOTE: When I repeated step 10 for the word document and got the error and tried to repair Office 2013 via the Control Panel it said that the installation was corrupt I then did the following

1. Went to original installation file / download of Office Professional 2013
  2. Reran installation
For the last part it looks like there were some files missing which the reinstall just put those files back. I am not sure if that was caused by me editing the registry or running the "troubleshoot compatibility" but it fixed the problem and I no longer have the annoying error messages popup.

I am hoping my solution helps someone else as this was very annoying!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 46,502 Last updated: March 14, 2018 Applies to: