• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

I can't paste a live url link into my word docs

Cliffoa asked on
In older versions of word I used to be able to copy a url from my browser and paste it into a word document, to give me a quick way of linking to a web-page.  Now in word 2013 when I copy the url, the 'paste options' menu only shows 'keep text only', so it just pastes as plain text. Then I have to go through the rigmarole of turning it into a hyperlink separately, which is a real pain.  I've looked in the Options/Advance menus, but I can't see anything that will let me paste live url links into my word docs. If someone could tell me how to do this I'd be much obliged. Thanks. 
12 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
If you just press the space bar after you have pasted the URL, Word should convert it to a hyperlink. If it doesn't work, do the following: Click File tab | Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options. On the AutoFormat As You Type tab, make sure that "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks" (under "Replace as you type") is selected.
Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
31 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress