Font spacing (kerning) issues after cut & paste from Visio into Word

Hello,

Products - Visio 2013, all the updates.  Word 2013, all the updates.  Windows 7, 64bit.  Latest & greatest of everything.

1. Create two text boxes in Visio with any basic font - Calibri let's say.  Put in a few sentences into both.

2. Highlight both boxes, copy them (CTRL-C) and paste (CTRL-V) them into Word.

Font kerning is all screwed up from the original.  True, it's not unreadable, but it's a far cry from the original.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and the pasted Visio text boxes aren't anywhere near perfection.  It's actually better to use the Snipping Tool and cut and paste THAT into Word.  It looks better.

Why?  Any tricks to make the image crystal clear in Word? Any settings I should fiddle with?

There's got to be a fix.

Chris.

Hello Chris,

As per the description provided, there is a font spacing issue after you paste the contents into Word document.

Try to use the ‘Paste Special’ and use the different options while pasting and check how it works.

Also provide us the detailed information about the issue to reproduce in our end. You may provide us the screenshots which will help us to understand better.

In order to add the image, click on the ‘Insert image’ icon present in the ‘Reply’ window.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Nayana,

I've tried using all 3 types of paste from Visio into Word.

Option A: As Microsoft Visio Drawing Object below.  Fonts are all screwed up - kerning is the issue.  Looks unprofessional when printed:

Option B: As Device Independent Bitmap.  Horrible.  Completely unusable:

Option C: As Picture (Enhanced Metafile).  Seems to be identical to Option A:

Option D: Using the Snipping Tool.  Surprisingly, the best of all the options, but still not perfect.  Fuzzy, blurred edge text:

... I think I've used up all my options for cutting and pasting from Visio into Word.

My question is ... how does someone who works on documentation AT Microsoft accomplish this and make it look professional?  They can't possibly be using the Snipping Tool, can they??

Chris.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This definitely looks like a bug. I solved the problem by selecting the objects I wanted in Visio, the select File->Save As... and for file extension, choose ".png". In the next dialog box, for resolution, select the "Printer" option. Then this image can be imported into Powerpoint, and the kerning problems disappear.

-Sean

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This definitely looks like a bug. I solved the problem by selecting the objects I wanted in Visio, the select File->Save As... and for file extension, choose ".png". In the next dialog box, for resolution, select the "Printer" option. Then this image can be imported into Powerpoint, and the kerning problems disappear.

-Sean

YES this must be a bug; and using .png to import in powerpoint is not an option for me.

Microsoft please fix it!!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For years, I have been pasting lots of Visio drawings into Word (and when I say a lot, I do mean a lot because I write technical documents for a living). The text written in Visio always looked crisp and clear until… Word 2013 and Visio 2013. It now looks exactly as canadiense99 described and illustrated it. This is absolutely a bug in this iteration of Office and it is impacting the overall quality of the documents produced. This must be fixed as soon as possible.

Further to SeanInANutshell’s suggestion to use an intermediary file saved as PNG, I investigated the problem and found out Word has trouble to preserve the correct font kerning not only of Visio drawings pasted into Word (whether as Microsoft Visio Drawing Object or as Enhanced Metafile), but also of inserted EMF drawings (a Visio drawing saved as Enhanced Metafile for example). However, a Visio drawing saved as Windows Metafile (WMF) and inserted into Word comes in crisp and clear. It is an extra step, but as opposed to saving as PNG, WMF is a vector format and the inserted drawing can be enlarged without any problem.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same kerning failures when pasting Microsoft Visio Drawing Objects from Visio 2013 into Word 2013 -- a year and four months later.

Bitmapped graphics, like PNG, are also unacceptable in my work. The later updated 2007 applications did not have this problem.

I'm guessing a Visio drawing object uses (contains or creates) EMF internally for display and/or printing, so that's probably why the problem is observed to be the same when pasting an EMF. The WMF format appears to be a workaround, but is not the solution that users need.

Microsoft, this is a basic need. Please fix it.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just upgraded from Visio 2007 to Visio 2016, and the text kerning in the PNG's that I generate from Visio is messed up. The kerning in the text of these same diagrams was fine in Visio 2007.  This is a big problem for me now!!!

Microsoft, please fix this ASAP.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2024 Views 11,709 Applies to: