Customize Word 2013 start screen (templates)

On the opening screen of Word 2013 I would like to show my company's templates instead of Microsoft.com's. So in fact I would like to show the contents of the personal tab directly instead of having everyone click personal each time. Is that possible?

I have already found that I can pin a personal template to the start screen. Is it possible to distribute this setting to my colleagues (eg via office policy or registry settings)?

Cheers, 

Birgit

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2019 Views 1,851 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Birgit,

To give a truly customized experience to your users, I would strongly recommend a custom Ribbon Tab (configured through XML and VBA - not through the Customize the Ribbon options). You could have your standard templates on the Ribbon. In addition, I use dynamic Ribbon Menus that give my office access to various kinds of templates. Those ribbon menus are changed simply by adding a template to a folder - no change in code is necessary. If you want to explore this, a starting place is  Customize the Ribbon (It doesn't take rocket science). Note that while it doesn't take rocket science, it does take some vba experience and a lot of patience. The result, for me, was worth it. The page on dynamic ribbon menus is Dynamic Ribbon Menu.

Here is a screenshot of one of my custom ribbon tabs. I do not use the Start Screen and this tab is set to be the default tab.

The buttons not in a blue box go directly to some of the most-used templates. Those in a blue box are dynamic menu buttons. The one in use is the Courts and Attorneys button, a subfolder for envelopes is selected. I can add new templates to the menu by putting them in a folder (Courts and Attorneys) and in the 03 Env Local Clerks of Courts. Templates show up in a menu in alphabetical order, which is the reason for the numbers at the beginning of the names; that lets me control the order of display.

When a template on the menu is selected, a new document based on the template is created.

I then use the classic FileNew dialog to reach other custom templates. All templates shown in the dynamic menus are in a menus subfolder of my Workgroup Templates folder.

Like I said earlier, this is a fair amount of work but this same menu structure works in Word 2007-2013 (Word 2010 is shown). The most-used custom templates are easily reached whenever using Word.

Volunteering to pay forward and help the Microsoft user community.]
Screenshots from SnagIt

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal website: http://addbalance.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.