Publisher 2013 - multile problems - Red X, no PDF, using massive memory

I am using Publisher 2013 on Windows 8 to create a 70 page document full of hi res images.  The total file size is 524,757 KB.  I have done 6 or 7 of these in the past but never quite this large nor had this many problems.

When creating this file there was not problems.  I was dragging and dropping images to pages, resizing them and adding text.  I had about 10-12 more pages in my draft and started trimming down to a reasonable size.  I saved on a regular basis.

When I open the file now it will show a large Red X in the place of an image.  If I close and reopen the file it may have a different image with the Red X. 

When I open the file and Task Manager at the same time I see that Publisher will use upwards of 1,700 MB of memory by the time it opens.  At that point it may not allow me to

I am not able to Export, Save As or Create a PDF without the Red X and many times it will not create a PDF at all either saying the machine is low on memory (tried on 2 different machines, 1 with 10 GB of Ram and another with 32 GB) or it will just give a message saying “Publisher cannot save the” or even just not seeming to react at all and almost locking up the file.  If I reboot the machine, open the publisher file and try to create the PDF it may create the file, but even that PDF will have Red X in places.

When I do open the file it tells me there are fonts that it will need to load. When I try opening with Publisher 2010 to 2003 it may also say there are macros that may need to be disabled.

I tried breaking my document into 2 files, each between 250-280 MB in hopes that I can publish and somehow join the files once they are PDF.  No luck. 

I have tried going to View> Graphics Manager and see that all the images are embedded.  The files are on a local folder on my hard drive (but it is a linked SkyDrive folder, perhaps that is an issie?)  It is strange that the image seems to randomly change which gets a Red X

|

I am using Publisher 2013 on Windows 8 to create a 70 page document full of hi res images.  The total file size is 524,757 KB.  I have done 6 or 7 of these in the past but never quite this large nor had this many problems.

When creating this file there was not problems.  I was dragging and dropping images to pages, resizing them and adding text.  I had about 10-12 more pages in my draft and started trimming down to a reasonable size.  I saved on a regular basis.

When I open the file now it will show a large Red X in the place of an image.  If I close and reopen the file it may have a different image with the Red X. 

When I open the file and Task Manager at the same time I see that Publisher will use upwards of 1,700 MB of memory by the time it opens.  At that point it may not allow me to

I am not able to Export, Save As or Create a PDF without the Red X and many times it will not create a PDF at all either saying the machine is low on memory (tried on 2 different machines, 1 with 10 GB of Ram and another with 32 GB) or it will just give a message saying “Publisher cannot save the” or even just not seeming to react at all and almost locking up the file.  If I reboot the machine, open the publisher file and try to create the PDF it may create the file, but even that PDF will have Red X in places.

When I do open the file it tells me there are fonts that it will need to load. When I try opening with Publisher 2010 to 2003 it may also say there are macros that may need to be disabled.

I tried breaking my document into 2 files, each between 250-280 MB in hopes that I can publish and somehow join the files once they are PDF.  No luck. 

I have tried going to View> Graphics Manager and see that all the images are embedded.  The files are on a local folder on my hard drive (but it is a linked SkyDrive folder, perhaps that is an issie?)  It is strange that the image seems to randomly change which gets a Red X

==========================================
Just thinking aloud...good luck with your publication.

I'm thinking the random failure to display the images means
the combined file size is exceeding your system resources.

I see that you have tons of RAM but all the high-res photos
plus the resources it takes to process them adds up quick

Just an example...lets say you had a 16 megapixel camera
that produces .jpg photos 4608x3456...and the average photo
was 6 megabytes.  Guess what...when those .jpg photos
are uncompressed in the Pub. Publication the file size can
easily be 45 megabytes.

Preparing your photos by reducing pixel dimensions before
importing may be worth a try and also using linked images
may help.

If the photos were reduced in size to something like 1280x
960...I doubt that you would see any visible loss but the
file size would be greatly reduced...this could change the
uncompressed memory size to 4 megabytes or less.

Also...if a commercial printer will be used...they always
request images that are 300 dpi...so that adjustment may
be required also.

The following articles may be worth a look.

.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks.  I tried splitting the file in half, using the Picture Compress to get things to all be around 300 dpi (as I will be sending out to commercial printing) and that dropped easily 50-60 MB per half.  but I still get some Red X in random spots

I tried downloading a third-party "print-to-pdf-file" app and that seems to work.  I just need to figure a way to combine the PDF into a single file.  maybe even recreating the pages that just will not render correctly.

I think I am hitting beyond the standard limits of Publisher.  Weird that no Red X in Pub 2010 or Pub 2003, but I also cannot create PDF nor do they seem to retain the new formatting features of Pub 2013

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks.  I tried splitting the file in half, using the Picture Compress to get things to all be around 300 dpi (as I will be sending out to commercial printing) and that dropped easily 50-60 MB per half.  but I still get some Red X in random spots

I tried downloading a third-party "print-to-pdf-file" app and that seems to work.  I just need to figure a way to combine the PDF into a single file.  maybe even recreating the pages that just will not render correctly.

I think I am hitting beyond the standard limits of Publisher.  Weird that no Red X in Pub 2010 or Pub 2003, but I also cannot create PDF nor do they seem to retain the new formatting features of Pub 2013

========================================
The changes you refer to about splitting the Publication
into two Publications and dropping 50 to 60 MB from
the total file size of a single publication...does not
address the issue of individual photo file size.

If you prepare the photos before you import them into
the Publisher publication the result should be better.

Personally, I would make copies of all the photos involved
in the publication and place them in a folder. Then I would
use the Batch Conversion option in the freeware IrfanView
to change the DPI to 300 and resize them to 1280x960.

Anyway...good luck with your Publication.
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with Volunteer J that the best choice is to edit, size and resample your images in a third party image editor before you insert them into Publisher at no more than 300 dpi and 100% scale. However if you compress all the images in Publisher, save the file and close Publisher, reboot your computer and open just the Publisher file after your computer reboots you may find that your Red X problem is gone.

The main reason I am jumping into this thread however is to tell you that if you download and install the free pdf tool www.primopdf.com that it has the ability to append a pdf file. This means that you can create a 300 dpi pdf file with the first Publisher file and then append the second Publisher file to that same pdf file...you can combine your two Publisher files into one pdf. When you install primopdf opt out of installing the optional toolbars and such and you will find it a very good tool.

DavidF

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2018 Views 1,877 Applies to: