Microsoft PowerPoint 2013 - "Nudge" feature not working correctly after installing KB3114482

Hello,

I work in IT support at my organization and, as the title suggests, the "nudge" feature using the arrow keys is not working correctly after installing KB3114482 for Microsoft PowerPoint 2013. Normally, when you use the arrow keys to nudge a text box/picture/graph/table etc., it moves the object the smallest increment possible. After installing this patch, nudging with an arrow key moves it probably 10 times further per press than normal.

Uninstalling the update fixes the issue, and a reboot is not required for changes to take effect. Our SCCM admin suggested me downloading the update and manually installing it and doing so produced the same results.

I haven't seen this bug reported yet, mostly because most people probably don't pay attention to the finer points of PowerPoint this closely, however the folks in the graphic design/corporate communication are the ones who first reported having the problem.

This is not a question, rather a bug report. I know that KB3114480 is causing the issue and that removing it fixes the issue. Our Information Security team is not going to go for pulling or rolling back the patch since it was a security update, so I am hoping that Microsoft will roll out an enhancement patch in the near future that fixes the issue, similar to the way they did last month with Outlook 2010 opening in Safe Mode.

Please let me know if you would like any further information or log files, etc.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

What is the version number. It doesn't seem to repro here.
www.pptalchemy.co.uk

What is the version number. It doesn't seem to repro here.

Version is 15.0.4569.1506.

Just to be clear, the nudge function DOES still work, it just nudges further than it did prior to installing the update, so it's less precise. (I'm not saying that you didn't understand that, but I just had someone from software testing/QA at my company talk to me about the issue saying that they didn't notice that it didn't work so I had to demo it before/after for him to show what I was talking about.)

I understood what you meant but it looks like it works as expected here and I have the same version on W7. It's late here but I will uninstall the update and see if it's different. At the moment it moves a fraction over one point.

UPDATE I just checked and that update hasn't installed yet! Installing now.

www.pptalchemy.co.uk
Installed KB3114480 and CTRL Nudge still works as expected here.
www.pptalchemy.co.uk

Same issue here:  it's as if the "Snap objects to grid" option has been selected (even though it hasn't).

Problem only surfaced within the past week, so the KB3114482 update sounds like a probable cause.

Installed KB3114480 and CTRL Nudge still works as expected here.

Yes, CTRL+nudge provides the small increments of movement. Regular old nudge still moves about 1/2 inch at a time though. As IanCorrigible said, it's as if "Snap objects to grid" is checked even though it's not.

Not having to use PowerPoint much for my day-to-day duties, this workaround is fine for me but I worry that our end users who do graphic design/corporate communications will not accept this workaround as a "problem solved."

Can anyone from Microsoft explain why holding down CTRL is now required to get minimal movement whereas last week it wasn't required?

I guess I always use CTRL -> because I use a largish grid for alignment so I'm used to it. I can see a difference now (not 1/2 inch) but a much bigger jump when the snap to grid is off. Changing the grid spacing does not seem to change the jump.
www.pptalchemy.co.uk

Working in technical publications involves correcting graphics at times, and I noticed this right away!  I thought, at first, it was a setting prescribed by the originator of the file, so I toggled the Snap to Grid feature with no luck.  Microsoft, PLEASE fix this!!

Maybe the update affected this, but I noticed I can now resize text boxes by holding down CTRL or Shift (I forget off hand) and using the arrows.  Is that something new?  Intended? 

Thank you! 

(Please fix the nudge!)

Shift -> resize & CTRL/Shift resize has been there for several versions (at least 2010) The lack of nudge when snap if off seems new though.  I'll make sure the right people see this but I can't guarantee it will be fixed.
www.pptalchemy.co.uk
Same issue here - for those who work professionally with presentation design it's a less than ideal situation that slows workflow and uses up valuable keyboard shortcut fingers!!

Discussion Info

Last updated February 26, 2020 Views 1,533 Applies to: