Root folder path change causes subfolders to disappear

I changed my account to an IMAP account at the weekend. I copied my old subfolders (which of course used to be managed in a pst file) to under my IMAP account. Everything seemed fine. The default file was now an ost file. But I noticed that the mails were not syncing very well with the server. I could get it to sync eventually by doing lots of sends/receives and exiting Outlook but this was frustrating. I am using Outlook 2013 by the way. So I searched around and I found many people recommending setting the "Root folder path" to Inbox in order to get the synchronisation working. I did this and then all my subfolders (not subfolders to Inbox but subfolders to the account) disappeared. So I deleted this setting but I still cannot find the old subfolders. The ost file is a 2GB file so my old folders and mails are in there somewhere but I just can't restore them. I've tried everything in the Folder view and I've tried setting the IMAP folders by querying. I can see all the folders there. I can also see the folders on the service providers web interface to my account (although they are all empty) but I can't find a way to retrieve the folders from the ost file. Can anyone help ?   Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated June 26, 2019 Views 1,977 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Dennis,

Let me assist you with the issue.

Since the file size is 2GB, it will take lot of time to synchronize.

So, at this point of time, the only option available is to remove and re-add the email account.

To add an email account, follow the steps from the link below:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/add-an-email-account-HA102809480.aspx

This will bring back the folder list as the folders are present in the webmail. However these folders will be empty.

Now, try moving few emails at a time to the respective folder and then check if the synchronization works. If all the emails are being moved together, it will take long time to synchronize.

Hope  the suggestion provided is helpful. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.