Q: Problem: Outlook 2013 nonstop sync with Gmail IMAP This thread is locked from future replies

I have recently upgraded from Office Pro 2010 to Office Pro 2013 64-bit, running Win7.  All settings seemed to transfer correctly.  I use Outlook for my personal Gmail account in IMAP mode, which works perfectly on other devices.

When I open Outlook, it performs a sync with the IMAP folders I've told it to sync with -- including All Mail, Spam and Trash.  I have no issues with the Inbox -- it syncs correctly, but Outlook continuously syncs with All Mail, Spam, and Trash, and downloads multiple copies of messages into the Spam folder, up to 9 copies in some cases.  It seems like Outlook is going through the All Mail folder repeatedly and picking out what it thinks is Spam, and repeatedly moving the message into the Spam folder during each pass.  It's sucking up my bandwidth and causing Outlook to slow down.   I've let it run overnight to see if it reaches some equilibrium and then cleans itself up, but I ended up with over 10,000 messages and still growing in my Spam folder.  Permanently deleting the messages in the Spam folder just causes it to start all over again.

I have gone into Gmail and cleared my spam folder, and it has stayed empty.  I want Outlook to sync with the folders I've selected.  How do I stop Outlook from this infinite do-loop?

Since the account type setup in Outlook is IMAP type, the data (Folders, Emails) shown in Outlook are just an image of what is on the server.

Also since deleting the emails from Spam folder on the Web Mail server does not help, let us remove and re-add the email account in Outlook and verify the results.

Refer to the following link ‘Set up email in Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2013’ and check if it helps.

I hope this fixes the issue. If you still have issues, you may reply and we’ll be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,928 Last updated: March 6, 2018 Applies to: