Outlook 2013 send mail error 0x800CCC78 with CenturyTel.net

My wife and I have both started having this problem with our CenturyTel.net email accounts.  We can receive emails but we cannot send.  We made no changes to Outlook 2013, this just started failing.  I have chatted with 3 different technical support people at CenturyLink and they just insist it is an Outlook issue.

When I try to send Outlook gives the following message:

Task *** Email address is removed for privacy *** - sending reported error (0x800CCC78) cannot send the message. the server responded:
501 5.1.8 [F20] sender *** Email address is removed for privacy *** mailbox is unavailable.  I have read other responses to this error and verified that my settings are correct.

I have verified the correct server addresses ports, tls, etc.  These are correct.  I can log in to the web version of email at CenturyLink and send from there.  I have no problem sending and receiving emails to other accounts that I have set up in outlook.  It is extremely frustrating to deal with CenturyLink.

Any ideas on what else to try?

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Community, 

Error '0X800CCC78' usually occurs due to incorrect Outgoing server authentication settings in Outlook. Check the account settings and change the authentication settings in Outlook as per your Internet Service Provider.

Open Outlook> Click File> Info> Account settings> select the account and click on change> More settings> Outgoing Server.

If the option “My outgoing server requires authentication” is checked, uncheck it or vice-versa and try to send the emails and check if it works fine.

Now check and see if you are able to send and receive, if not, follow the steps in the article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

Hope this helps, if it does not please get back to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply.  Tried your suggestion and went through the KB article but have not been able to resolve the issue.  The error (0x800CCC78) is not listed in the KB article.

This link shows the required settings for CenturyTel.net email:

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/email-setup-in-outlook-2013-2.html

My wife and I have these exact settings on two different machines and both fail with the same error.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Let’s try to configure outlook with a different email account as test account and check it that works.

Refer the link below to configure email account in outlook.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2758902

Hope this helps, if it does not please get back to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you again for assisting.  I went through the link you gave me and tried removing the account and creating it new.  I get the same error sending (receive still works).  Unfortunately my ISP is not on the list of ISPs in that article so I can only go on the settings they provided in the link I posted above.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Let us try the following steps and check if it helps in resolving the issue:

Step1:

Open Outlook in application safe and then try configuring the email account.

To do that, press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

In the Run open box type in ‘Outlook /safe’ and hit ok.

Note: There is a space between Outlook and /.

If application safe mode works, try disabling the add-ins associated with Outlook and check.

To do that, do the following:

1. Open Outlook. Click on File and then click on options.

2. In the Options Window click on Add-ins.

3. Select Com Add-ins in the Manage list in the Add-ins section and click Go. Now uncheck the all the add-ins and click Ok.

Step 2:

Create a new profile in Outlook, reconfigure the email account and verify the results.

Refer to the following article ‘How to create and configure an email profile in Outlook’ and check if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

I hope the above suggestion helps. If you need further assistance on related issues let us know and we will be glad to help you.

Thanks you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thanks for hanging in there with me.  None of the above steps worked, sending still fails with the same error.  I am about 99.9% sure this problem is something that CenturyLink did since nothing changed on my computer when this started failing.

I think I will just use the CenturyLink web mail while I get all of my contacts to start using a different email account for me.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had no luck in resolving this issue.  I have tried every suggestion found when searching the error code.  This issue is not limited to my computer, my wife has the same issue with her CenturyTel.net email account.  

Either a Outlook or Windows update is the cause, or CenturyLink changed something on their server.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2017 Views 497 Applies to: