Outlook 2013 not syncing mail as read - IMAP

Running Outlook 2013 with IMAP email account on Windows 8.1.

I have previously used Outlook 2010 with no problems (on a Windows 7 system), however now Outlook 2013 fails to synchronise the 'read' status of emails. For example, if I read an email from this account on webmail or via another device (e.g. smartphone), Outlook 2013 still shows the email as unread.

This error only occurs in Outlook 2013. Windows Mail app and all other devices' email clients (e.g. iOS) update the read/unread status correctly.

The is clearly quite problematic and makes it very difficult to keep track of emails in Outlook 2013. Please help, no email rules have been set up in Outlook 2013. I have been unable to find any thread that deals with this issue, although I can't be the only one!

Question Info

Last updated August 1, 2019 Views 3,585 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Let me help you with the issue.

You may remove the IMAP account and reconfigure it following the steps from the link below:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/add-an-email-account-HA102809480.aspx

If the issue persists, then go to File, click Account Settings and open the Account Settings window, go to Email tab, click Change and then More Settings, go to Advanced tab, in Folders- Root Folder Path: Enter Inbox.

You may also try the below mentioned steps:

• Press the right mouse button on the "Inbox"-folder in the folder pane of the regarding imap-account.
  • Select "IMAP Folders."
  • Uncheck "When displaying hierarchy in Outlook, show only subscribed folders."
  • Press "Ok" and close the "IMAP Folders" window.
  • In my case all the e-mail in the Inbox-folder was reappearing.
  • When the mail is visible again you can check the "When displaying hierarchy in Outlook, show only subscribed folders." again. 

Let us know if the suggestions provided are helpful to you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.