I recently encountered some problems with Outlook 2013 and IMAP: Outlook never finishes synchronizing my subscribed IMAP folders for my IMAP email account. Everything was working fine (had the laptop off during vacation) and is weird now that I've come back.
Here is what I observe:
- When I start outlook it successfully receives new emails, but only once
- Soon after starting outlook it tries to synchronize the subscribed folders (indicated in the status bar), but that process never finishes
- This leads outlook being unable to receive any further emails (I assume it waits for above operation to finish). When you "force" outlook to update a particular folder by clicking on it, in addition to the status bar for the current tasks, it displays "synchronizing
inbox" which never vanishes either
- The only way to receive further emails is to restart outlook
- When I close outlook, the outlook.exe process remains active (indefinitely) and I have to kill it.
- Restart outlook
- Restart computer
- Deleting .ost files
- Repairing .ost files with ScanPST.exe
- Reinstalling (repairing) Office
- Uninstalling Office, wiping the Outlook folders, wiping the Outlook Mail profile, Reinstalling Office
- Tried all the things listed here: http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/news/general/imap-issues-affecting-outlook-2013-and-office-365-functionality (only update KB2837618 was installed, show only subscribed folders was unchecked anyway, declaring inbox as the root folder didn't do anything, except make some folders vanish)
- I disabled "Get folder unread count for subscribed folders"
- I used OffCAT to scan outlook, but it didn't report any critical issues