Outlook 2013 crashes when viewing encrypted message

I've been using Outlook 2013 in an Exchange environment for several months with no problems.  Last week, I received an encrypted message (not unusual) from a co-worker.  When I double-clicked the Outlook toast notification to view the message, Outlook crashed.  Upon restarting Outlook, it would crash immediately.  This behavior continued following a reboot.  My application event log is full of entries like this:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 15.0.4517.1003, time stamp: 0x51a6f743
Faulting module name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 15.0.4517.1003, time stamp: 0x51a6f743
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x003ac9b5
Faulting process id: 0xbd0
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce814bfc1fbe95
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OUTLOOK.EXE
Report Id: 46af4a72-ed3f-11e2-91cb-a4badbfe4855

If the most recent message in my inbox is an encrypted message, Outlook will crash on startup.  If the most recent message in my inbox is *not* encrypted, then Outlook will start normally but as soon as I select an encrypted message, Outlook will crash.

I also use Outlook Web Access to access my mailbox when I'm out of the office.  In the case of OWA, I am no longer able to view encrypted messages in the reading/preview pane simply by selecting them.  I am, however, able to view the encrypted message by double-clicking on it (in which case it will open and display in a new window).

Here's what I've tried thus far:

• Deleting and re-creating my .ost file from the Exchange server
  • Repairing my Outlook installation
  • Since the exceptions indicate an access violation (0xc0000005), I started Outlook in safe mode and disabled all Add-ins except for the following:
- Microsoft Exchange add-in
- Microsoft VBA for Outlook Addin
  • I've seen some people report Outlook crashing as a result of their AV/malware suite but we're running Systems Center 2012 Endpoint Protection which I would assume should not be a problem (and, aside from definition updates, EP has been in place for months.
  • The only thing that I know changed on my system just prior to this problem occurring were the Office updates that were released and applied via Windows Update last Tuesday (7/9).  By now I would have expected to see a problem like this stemming from an update being reported by a fair number of users but my searches haven't turned up anything.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2019 Views 4,379 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Microsoft has confirmed that this is an issue caused by update KB2817468. It has been submitted to be fixed. The update will get pulled soon as well.

For now, if you are affected by it, it is recommended to uninstall the update. As it isn't a security update, not having it installed won't leave you vulnerable to anything.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
https://www.howto-outlook.com
https://www.msoutlook.info

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.