Microsoft Outlook 2013 error message "cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened"

Help please - I cannot start Microsoft Outlook 2013, just downloaded  onto a Windows 8 laptop as part of Office 2013 - all other software elements (Word, Excel. Powerpoint, OneNote) do work. Message is "cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened"

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2018 Views 437,768 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thank you for posting the question, I understand that you are unable to open Outlook 2013. Let me help you with the issue.

I need more information:

What type of email account is configured in Outlook? E.g. POP/IMAP/Exchange.

In order to troubleshoot the issue relate to Outlook, follow the steps given below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

Try to reset the navigation pane and check if it helps.

• Ensure Outlook is closed,
  • Hold Windows key + R.
  • Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter:

Outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Note: There is a space between Outlook.exe and /resetnavpane.

Method 2:

Check if Outlook is in a compatibility mode:

1. Open My Computer/Local Disk C/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office 15/Outlook.exe.
  2. If you are using a 64 bit machine, go to C:/Program Files x86/Microsoft Office/Office 15/Outlook.exe.
  3. Right click on Outlook.exe and click on Properties and then click on Compatibility tab. Check if you have any check mark in any of the compatibility mode options. Make sure you also click on the option "change settings for all users" tab at the bottom of the same screen and look for similar check boxes in the window.
  4. If you see any check boxes in the compatibility mode options, uncheck all the boxes and click on Apply and OK.
  5. Try to open Outlook and check the result.

Method 3:

If the above methods fails, create new profile and check if you are able to open Outlook, refer the link below to know on how to create profile:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

If the issue fixes in the new profile, you may set the new profile as default and continue working with it:

• Go to control panel
  • Mail icon, Show profile.
  • Highlight the new profile and click on always use this profile
  • Click ok.

I hope the above steps helps. If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Office related issues let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

250 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.