OneNote 2013 Search does not work: How do I get Search to operate properly?

This appears to be an issue that has plagued OneNote for quite a while through various versions (based on other posts on the same issue).

Has this seemingly elementary issue never been fixed??? OneNote isn't able to find a simple piece of text via any notebook search other than the immediate notebook page.

I have many notebooks I've been using through multiple versions of OneNote. I keep them synced up with my SkyDrive. The index is blatantly obvious under my indexing options. There are no other settings to be had in OneNote options.

What on earth is the solution to this??? Very frustrating that this same issue continues to plague this otherwise impecable product. Please advise.

Answer
Answer

I was able to fix my OneNote 2013 search issues on Windows 7 x64 by doing the following:

1. Click Windows Start
  2. Type "Indexing Options"
  3. Select "Advanced"
  4. Select "File Types" tab
  5. Scroll to OneNote extensions and ensure they are checked (one, onePkg, oneToc, and oneToc2).  I'm not sure if you'll have all of these or not, but won't hurt to make sure.
  6. Select "Index Settings" tab
  7. Click "Rebuild" button - this may take a while to complete, but my OneNote search began working like new within 10-15 minutes of this.

Now, I don't make any guarantees.  These are simply the steps I took and my OneNote is searching again like a champ.  I hope you get the same mileage.

39 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2020 Views 17,287 Applies to: