OneNote 2013 - Ink Sizes and Standard Paper Sizes

Hi,

I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around OneNote's standard paper sizes, and their ink "size" for different pens.

Before my wall of text, I'll link some photos to illustrate what I'll be talking about.

Close Zoom, Medium Zoom, Far Zoom

What I have done:

Inside OneNote I made a test page, selected standard page size A4.  

I made a series of quick tests with different line sizes and different ink sizes (first three line sizes, and first three standard pen sizes).  I also did a small pressure sensitivity test to see how large the light vs heavy pressure would look.

I printed the page on a standard A4 size piece of paper.

I took my 0.5mm and 0.7mm pencils used in my engineering drafting class and made straight lines to illustrate the "working" size of the leads.

Finally, I took a ruler and measured what was supposed to be the 0.5mm pen inside of OneNote at full pressure.

What I found:

0.25mm pen size does not have pressure sensitivity.

0.35mm and 0.5mm pen size at full pressure are much greater than the indicated size.

0.35mm and 0.5mm pen size can produce a thinner line at low sensitivity than the 0.25mm at any/all sensitivity.

Discussion:

The first question I think coming my way is "are the pens the correct size when pressure sensitivity is turned off?"  Good question, they might.  My rebuttle is: does a pen/pencil have its maximum width when pressing lightly or heavily?  The pen/pencil should have maximum width when pressing the hardest, not the softest.

I have no idea what really goes on in the background of this software, and this issue may be harder to solve than I suspect.  But my main issue is this: if the pen sizes do not match even the standard paper sizes provided, why list the pen sizes at all?

P.S.  Please, please, please, if I am missing something, please tell me.  I honestly and sincerely hope I am just wrong and am missing.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am sorry you have not gotten any response as of yet and also because I can't advice. But what I am here to tell you is that because of your experiment and sharing it with us, I was able to figure out why the 0.25mm pen size wasn't registering the pressure sensitivity. It has been bothering me for some time now that it was pretty thick and I didn't like my notes like that because they looked almost unreadable. 

So thank you very much. I will now use the 0.35 and have to suck it up writing very lightly. (Hopefully they fix it in the future.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 438 Applies to: