Windows 7 64bit Reinstalling 32bit Office Professional - Setup could not find any available products to install. please contact your system administrator

I've seen this same problem reported on other versions of Office and tried all the solutions that have been suggested but with no luck.

The problem started with a corrupt Word installation where every time I opened an email Outlook crashed.

I tried a Repair on both Outlook and Word.

After trying a repair that worked but failed to resolve the problem I removed Office Pro through the Control Panel’s Programs and Features facility.  

I then attempted a re-install using a volume license installation.

When I clicked on the Setup.exe it displayed a message "Gathering necessary files and after a while then came up with the "Setup could not find any available products to install. Please contact your system administrator."

I tried copying the files to a local disk, and tried running it as administrator.

I then looked up the error and tried the Microsoft fix it to remove all traces of Office 2013 the fix failed.

I then followed the manual instructions to  remove Office 2013 removing all the stated files and making changes to the registry.

I rebooted and retried the installation but got the same message.

I tried installing from a virtual CD, but got the same message.

I installed Office 2010 and that worked.

I then tried to manually remove 2013 again, but that not only failed to work but also messed up the Office 2010 installation and in the end I had to manually remove Office 2010 before it would allow me to reinstall Office 2010. The Office 2010 installation error was just a "problem has occurred, trying to recover, closing message".

I have tried actioning the Offce 2013 from the top level of the root file.

i have tried changing the protection in the program Data and Mircrosoft Office 2013 directories.

I have tried re-downloading the installation files to the local hard drive. 

Prior to reinstalling Office 2010 for the second time I cleared everything from Office 2010 and Office 2013 so there was no Office product installed, I tried to reinstall the Office 2013 first but whereas the 2013 came up with the message the 2010 did install.

There is nothing related to the Office 2013 failure in the Event log. 

This did install okay a few months ago when part of the C drive got accidentally deleted.

I have so far tried the following:

I current have gone back to running Office 2010 

Can anyone suggest what else I can try or better still explain what exactly is going on? Why is the message being displayed, there are obviously a whole directory chain of files to install so what is causing it to come up with the error message?

Surely the solution here is not to wipe the drive clean and rebuild the system from the bottom up? 

Regards

Martin

Answer
Answer

Resolved.

I had been trying to installing from a network installation. I asked if the software could be re-downloaded and when it was the files were in a DVD image format. 

Although my laptop does not have a physical DVD I have installed a virtual DVD and when the install image was mounted it installed as normal.

I had previously burned the old install files to a virtual DVD and tried installing from there but that had failed, I am not sure why but the lesson here would seem to be that the install files need to be in a DVD image format.

Thanks for your help.

Martin

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 28, 2018 Views 5,257 Applies to: