Question

Q: Office PP 2013 - Setup bootstrapper has stopped working

I have downloaded the Office Pro Plus 2013 ISO from the download page and when I try to install it, it show me the first screen saying that the setup is preparing and then I get the error message "Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper has stopped working". Could anyone help?

I have also read this article, but I do not have Citrix installed: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpro/thread/88a6f422-0bac-4d0d-8279-95c5afbbc95a/

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In my case the MDT task sequence was producing this error at the post install section.  It turned out the source files were incomplete/corrupted.  By simply downloading the application again and importing back into the applications node, resolved the issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

I received the same error message and one of our developer's figured it out.

• We removed all previous versions of Office products,
  • Ran the Fix-it tool:

Use the Microsoft Fixit tool to remove the older version of Office installed on the computer from the following article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179

• He discovered that the Task Scheduler service was not enabled. It would not let him enable via the GUI so he had to go into the registry to enable
  • He then rebooted the system.
  • Once the system was up, he verified the service was running and then I was able to install Office Pro Plus 2013, Visio Pro 2013 and MS Project Pro 2013.

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

You are a golden god. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Go into your "Services" in your settings and disable your Print Spooler - just right-click on it and then click stop. My install hung at about 90%, and when I disabled the spooler it finally installed.

Hope it helps.

First of all, I want to thank Kyle for his post. He hit the nail on the head. Once I stopped the spooler, everything went smoothly.

Anytime you install the Office suite, you are installing several programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, *** AND *** OneNote. With Office 2013, you are also installing a utility called "Send To OneNote" that lives in the notification tray. Apparently, it has an incestuous relationship with the print spooler.

If you've never tried OneNote, you should. It is a fantastic program and worth the price of admission all by itself. I had no problems installing Office 2013 on a new machine but updates through Windows Update would sometimes hang.

By installing only a few updates at a time (a LONG process) I finally identified OneNote updates as the culprits. Before reading Kyle's post, I had three updates for OneNote that would not install because they would all mysteriously just hang about 20% into the process. Additionally, I tried to repair the installation through Control Panel and that also hanged. I came * THIS * close to uninstalling and reinstalling Office when I saw this thread.

The update installer and in Adrian Leong's case, the initial installer, do a good job of ensuring that no Office suite programs are running during the install. It even asked for permission to stop "Send To OneNote". But I think it leaves a portion of it, which may be hooked to the print spooler, still running. This makes sense to me since Send To OneNote runs as a process.

I've never used Office 365, but my guess is that it also contains OneNote and Send To OneNote. When Adrian went to install from the ISO, the installer terminated any running Office applications but, like the updater, left the Send To OneNote process running, thereby hanging the install. I think stopping the Send To OneNote process would have the same effect as stopping the print spooler and allow updates to run smoothly.

To quickly access your running services, press the Windows key and R. A dialog box will open for the Run command. Type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and click OK. Once the services window opens, scroll down to Print Spooler then follow Kyle's instructions above.

Alternately, you can right-click the Taskbar and select Task Manager. It will show you all the processes running on your machine. Scroll down to either process, or both, and click End Task. You'll have to restart them after the install, but the easiest way to do that is just reboot.

Hope you find this useful.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anula ,

I have tried all the options mentioned in this post and replies of the post .After around 50 attempts and wasting one complete day i am still unable to install the software. Still getting the error "Windows setup bootstrapper has stopped working" .The product is become less and less user friendly. I have the same issue trying to use an img file for Microsoft project.This is ridiculous set up for installation .Real waste of time this setup is.

Sorry this didn't help.

Folks -

Make sure you can run ose*.exe (ose00000.exe and so on - successive attempts at reinstalling will increment the ose00001.exe, etc.) from your %temp% folder. After CryptoLocker many IT folks put in GPOs that blocked EXEs from launching in the temp folder. Adding those ose00000.exe's as "unrestricted" in a software restriction policy seems to be effective, and Office 2013 setup can continue.

Doug

Doug Kinzinger, MCSE

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Hi,

the easiest way is if you have an older version of office for example 2010, 2007 or 2003 first uninstall them then install the new version

don't allow to uninstall the older version from the 2013 office installer

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue I have completed the steps above multiple times, i keep re-installing the program, and I get the bootstrap error message, im virtually running off a clean windows 7 install, not much more on my laptop at the moment, than windows & Itunes & ESET. any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Another cause for this issue can be attributed to any policy that might be in place to block executables from running in %appdata% directory. 

For example,  if a domain GPO has been configured in response to Crypto-Locker that disables all .exe files from launching within the users appdata dirs., the ose00000.exe file will not launch, causing this error during the Office 2013 install.

heuristik

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello All,

after I tried all the steps that forums recommended I simply remove my computer from the corporrate domain ( put it in workgroup) and Office installed by magic !!!

François Coutu

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 241,074 Last updated: July 18, 2018 Applies to: