Why is Excel 2013 so laggy and slow?

I just got Excel 2013 when we went with Office 365.  Previously, I used Excel 2010.  The biggest complaint I have with Excel 2013 is that it is very laggy when you move the cursor around the screen or when you flip through tabs.  Admittedly, I am a power user, and I want transitions to happen quickly, but what is going on?  I've turned off SkyDrive in the registry, I've turned off the silly graphics enhancements, but I cannot make the cursor zip across the screen like it has in every single other version of Excel!

It almost seems to me that there's something written into the program to record every action that takes place so it can write it to something like SkyDrive.  That's all well and good, but it comes at quite a large sacrifice to performance.  Plus I don't want to use SkyDrive!  I hoped that turning it off in the registry would have stopped this, but all it seems to have done is help me avoid those extra File screens.

So my question is...is there anything else I can do to make Excel go faster and get rid of this hideous lag?  Please, it feels like biting down on a dry clarinet reed or scratching your fingernails on a chalkboard.
|
Answer
Answer

Awesome, thank you.

I have my Control Panel set up to display small icons (meaning I don't get the big generalized groupings), and here's the path in that kind of setup (Windows 7):

Press the Windows Button + [Pause/Break] to skip the next 2 steps

or

Open the Control Panel

Choose System

Choose Advanced System Settings in the left hand column of choices on the next dialog

On the [Advanced] tab, click the {Settings...} button in the Performance section

Clear the checkbox next to the "Animate controls and elements inside windows" entry right at the top of the list

Click [OK] and close out all of the dialogs and the Control Panel.

That did it for me instantly without a reboot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4o6p12HL30

60 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I have spent a good deal of time and about three days of lost production time trying to resolve this infuriating unresponsiveness in Excel 2013.

Disabling hardware graphics acceleration hardly worked.  Opening Excel in safe mode to check and disable add ins didn't work either.  I've explored a number of threads and forums but, finally, I came across an answer that solved the problem for me perfectly from JLLatham as follows:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/need-to-turn-off-excel-animation/2d2a4a22-0f0a-4e02-aead-31b126765769

I hope this helps others and if it does, give him a thumbs up!

62 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 31, 2021 Views 81,284 Applies to: