Problem in VBA reading text from body of out of office messages in Outlook 2013 - Solved - see Reply 3

Hi

I'm not an expert in VBA, so this may be something obvious and I've missed it.  About a month ago, I wrote a VBA program in an Excel 2013 workbook to go to a specified folder in my Outlook (the Inbox for one of my accounts) and search through all emails from a given date to look for any returned emails and, for those emails, to extract the email addresses contained in the text of the undelivered email.   I put it together from code I found on the net, and eventually got it working fine.  The first pass searched for emails with  "undeliverable" in the Subject and, for those emails, it then searched the Body of the text for emails and extracted them to the excel workbook.  It now doesn't work.   The initial selection of emails with "undeliverable" in the Subject line works, but somehow the characters on the .Body of the ReportItem (I've found out it's not a MailItem, as its returned mail) don't appear to copy to my string correctly, and, when I use the .Display function to show the email, the header and subject line are fine, but the text of the email appears to be Chinese characters.  However, when I look at that email (and the other returned emails) using Outlook 2013, the text in the body is perfectly readable.   Similarly using MsgBox to display the string into which I've copied the body of the email just shows lines of ????? .  As a result, although is does find undelivered emails, it doesn't find any email addresses in the bodies of these emails

Extracts from my code are below. I appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

Thanks

G_in_Sydney

Dim MyOutLookApp As Object
    Dim MyNameSpace As Object
    Dim MyFolder As Object
    Dim i, j, Index, index1, p, l, m, n As Integer
    Dim itms, filteredItms As Outlook.Items
    Dim MyDate As Variant
    Dim olMail As Object
    Dim EmailBody As String
    Dim Check1 As Variant
    Dim Start, EndofTexttoSearch, EmailAddressCounter, UndeliveredEmailAddresses As Integer
    Dim TextatendofSearch As String

etc involving the workbook

etc

Set MyOutLookApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

On Error GoTo ErrFlder
            If MyOutLookApp Is Nothing Then
            MsgBox "Please open Outlook first,then try again."
            Exit Sub
            End If
'
'   Set MyNameSpace to contain all the email account folder names in Outlook
'
      Set MyNameSpace = MyOutLookApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
'
'   Set MyFolder to folder number(15), then to the Inbox number (2)
    Set MyFolder = MyNameSpace.Folders(15).Folders(2)
'
'   Set itms to be the collection of all Outlook items within MyFolder
   Set itms = MyFolder.Items

'   Set filteredItms to filter items in MyFolder to on or after the date set above
   Set filteredItms = itms.Restrict("[ReceivedTime]> '" & Format(MyDate, "ddddd h:nn AMPM") & "'")
   MsgBox "filteredItms = " & filteredItms.Count ' I use to check it is selecting only after the set date
   EmailAddressCounter = 1
   UndeliveredEmailAddresses = 0

For Each olMail In filteredItms
        If InStr(olMail.Subject, "Undeliverable") <> 0 Then              

EmailBody = olMail.Body
            Msgbox EmailBody  '    Displays as lines of ???????

MsgBox Len(EmailBody)   ' Displays positive numbers, typically around 2000 characters

olMail.Display     '  Shows the body as Chinese characters, although the header of the email is fine
            Start = 1
 etc etc to search through the text for email addresses
                '

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Msgbox EmailBody  '    Displays as lines of ???????

olMail.Display     '  Shows the body as Chinese characters, although the header of the email is fine

a) Msgbox EmailBody

That is normal. The string EmailBody contains Unicode chars and the MsgBox is not able to show them correctly.

b) olMail.Display

That is also normal, the mail is written in Chinese.

Andreas.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Andreas

Thanks for the reply.  A couple of follow ups:

1.The undelivered messages are not in Chinese. They all come from a local company here in Australia and read perfectly normally in English when I open them using Outlook 2013, so I presume that the actual text is not Unicode.  

2. Your observation that the VBA code/Outlook/Office settings I have seems to be interpreting them as Unicode looks correct.  Any ideas why this should be and what I need to change to get it to read as a normal string?

Thanks

G_in_Sydney

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To anyone that has the same problem

I've managed to develop a work around to solve the problem (interestingly my googling found a reference to the problem of the ReportItem.Body not returning a readable string back in 2000, and referred to it a a known bug then!).  I've changed my code to use the ReportItem.SaveAs property to save the entire message as a Text file, open the text file and read that into my string, and then 'top and tail' it to delete the header and footer parts I don't want to search.  The email search code then works fine on this string and produces the bounced email addresses.  The relevant code is below.

Happy coding

G_in_Sydney

Dim MyOutLookApp As Object
    Dim MyNameSpace As Object
    Dim MyFolder As Object
    Dim Click1 As Variant
    Dim i, j, Index, index1, p, l, m, n As Integer
    Dim itms, filteredItms As Outlook.Items
    Dim MyDate As Variant
    Dim olMail As Object
    Dim olMailItem As ReportItem
    Dim EmailBody As String
    Dim Check1 As Variant
    Dim MessageSaveType As Variant
    Dim Start, EndofTexttoSearch, EmailAddressCounter  As Integer
    Dim TextatendofSearch, CheckStr, Charlist, Outstr, GetStr, TextatStartofSearch As String

etc code working with workbook, then

'   Set MyNameSpace to contain all the email account folder names in Outlook
'
      Set MyNameSpace = MyOutLookApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
'
'   Set MyFolder to folder number(15), and the Inbox number (2), the folder I want to search
    Set MyFolder = MyNameSpace.Folders(15).Folders(2)
'
'   Set itms to be the collection of all Outlook items within MyFolder
   Set itms = MyFolder.Items    '   MsgBox "Number of items in MyFolder = " & itms.Count
'
'   Set filteredItms to filter items in MyFolder to on or after the date set above
   Set filteredItms = itms.Restrict("[ReceivedTime]> '" & Format(MyDate, "ddddd h:nn AMPM") & "'")  'MsgBox "filteredItms = " & filteredItms.Count
'
'
   EmailAddressCounter = 1

For Each olMail In filteredItms
        If olMail.MessageClass = "REPORT.IPM.Note.NDR" Then   ' Message class for Returned Emails
            ' save the message as a text file in a temporary folder, as cannot directly read the body of a ReportItem
            Set olMailItem = olMail
            MessageSaveType = olTXT
            Tempfilepath = "C:\changethefoldertosuityourneeds\TempDoNotDelete\TempFile.txt"  ' note: this does not check the directory exists, so create it first
            olMailItem.SaveAs Path:=Tempfilepath, Type:=MessageSaveType
    '   Open temp text file and read the text into the EmailBody string
      iFile = FreeFile
      Open Tempfilepath For Input As #iFile
      EmailBody = Input$(LOF(iFile), iFile)
      Close iFile
'  Delete TempFilePath
      Kill Tempfilepath
'
'   Delete the header down to the Subject line to avoid *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and duplicate versions of the email addresses

TextatStartofSearch = "Subject:"
    TextatendofSearch = "Diagnostic information for administrators"  

EmailBody = Right(EmailBody, Len(EmailBody) - InStr(1, EmailBody, TextatStartofSearch) + 1)
            Start = 1
'
'      Delete the tail of the email body which isn't needed to be searched for email addresses
            EndofTexttoSearch = InStr(Start, EmailBody, TextatendofSearch)
                If EndofTexttoSearch = 0 Then 'if email message doesn't contain this text, default to the full string
                    EndofTexttoSearch = Len(EmailBody)
                End If
            EmailBody = Left(EmailBody, EndofTexttoSearch - 1)

'

' continue with the code to search the string for email addreses etc etc 

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

G_in_Sydney - great solution!

I had the same problem and your code has given me the work around.. and no more 'Chinese' emails.

Many thanks for sharing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

GMBrook - glad to help.  I've used other people's solutions so many times, it's good to be able to contribute back to the community.  Regards  G_in_Sydney

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

G - I find myself in need of a similar tool and have just started my search. Is it possible to get a full copy of your code?

Thanks and kindest regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The write to file and then read from file solution works. But I didn't like it. I don't want the extratime and also many thousands of read/write operations to harddrive. Not good if you have a SSD that are not made for many write operations. After investigating the whole very annoying thing I came to the following solution:

private string ConvertToCorrectFormat(Outlook.ReportItem ri) {

string str = ri.Body;

Encoding enc = Encoding.Unicode;
            byte[] bBEArr = enc.GetBytes(str);
            if (bBEArr[1] == 0 && bBEArr[3] == 0) //If OK string -> return str before converting
                return str;
            int sizeOfNewArr = str.Length * 4;
            byte[] arrNew = new byte[sizeOfNewArr];

for (int i = 0; i < bBEArr.Length; i += 2) {
                byte b1 = bBEArr[i];
                byte b2 = bBEArr[i + 1];

arrNew[i * 2] = b1;
                arrNew[i * 2 + 2] = b2;
            }
            str = enc.GetString(arrNew);
            return str;
        }

/Joe Fjell

http://www.nfi.se/kurs/c-sharp.aspx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joe

Thanks for posting your approach.  I'm afraid it beyond my experience, so I'm not sure how it works, but I'm sure other people will appreciate an alternative without creating a temporary file.   Regards    G_in_Sydney

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just had this happen to me. Used StrConv to convert back to Unicode.

Dim strBody as String

strBody = StrConv(olMail.Body,vbUnicode)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Mr. Joe Paulsson,

I try your suggestion.

My app written in VB.net

I got problem at getting email header using your code, like the Symbols character at the end of result.

So far, this is what I have tried (3 ways - 2 last commented):

//After convert email body with your code snippet

sEmailBody = Regex.Replace(sEmailBody, "[^A-Za-z0-9\-@\s\n]", "")
                                        'sEmailBody = ConsoleBEARUtility.RemoveSymbol(sEmailBody)
                                        'sEmailBody = sEmailBody.Substring(0, sEmailBody.Length - 3)

After using Regex, the email header appears on string.

I think it is failure on conversion the email header below NDR email.

Like this:

Therecipientse-mailaddresswasnotfoundintherecipientse-mailsystem.MicrosoftExchangewillnottrytoredeliverthismessageforyou.Pleasecheckthee-mailaddressSdyresendingO::aorprovidethefollowingdiagnostictexttoyoursystemadministrator.ThefollowingorganizationrejectedyourAOe:3R:4.us.messagelabs.com.rrrrrDXSNcinformationforIR:FN@:Generatingserver::8F01.aia.bizA:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***:CC5r4gs.messagelabs.com5.1.1SMTP550Ia.:ltA:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***:S89h:ltID.pn.estatement@@a.comgtReceived:3Fmpps.filterd:8F01127.0.0.1bymycspxsmt01.aia.biz8.14.5/8.14.5withSMTPidt0SE38mB011718forltA:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***:05:440800Received:NF:8A02X10.50.163.135by5bpxsmt01.aia.bizwithESMdN6t1-1forltA:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***:05:440800Received:NF:8A02X10.50.163.135bymycspwdss02.aia.bizwithMBHF4eVC6.0.3790.3959Wed28Jan201522:06:350800Received:fromMYCSPWEDG02.AIA.Biz10.50.163.130bymycspwdss02XChLtSMTPSVC6.0.3790.3959Wed28Jan201522:06:330800Received:NFMYCWHUB01.AIA.BIZ10.50.162.73byMYCWEDG02.AIA.Biz10.50.163.130withLtSMr6c8.3.348.2Wed28Jan201522:06:490800Received:fromdafp3aiarms0110.49.18.65byMYCSPWHUB01.AIA.BIZ10.50.162.73withMBHF4Pdd8.3.348.2Wed28Jan201522:06:330800Received:NFCGKDCPWPFD0310.49.18.7bydafp3aiarms01withMBHFSMTPSVC8.0.9200.16384Wed28Jan201521:06:330700MIME-Version:1.0From:ltID.pn.estatement@@a.comgtTo:ltA:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***:L28Jan201521:06:330700Subject:LSDSaPesertaDPLKAIAFSS.:G013RincianLS-gMContent-Type:::NN.:boundaryquot--boundary676659979f-32f9-47f8-a735-7307adc3323aquotMessage-ID:ltDAFP3AIARMS01JdnjQ000432b1@dafp3aiarms0184tX-OriginalArrivalTime:28Jan201514:06:33.0037UTCFILETIME9EE31FD0:01D03B03X-Proofpoint-Virus-Version:LSreSD2.50.10432:5.13.681.0.330.0.0000definitions2015-01-2801:2015-01-282015-01-281970-01-01signatures0X-Proofpoint-Spam-D@:S:u:KBHyW:Nt5e:5e0suspectscore3phishscore0adultscore0bulkscore0classifier:EGCtS3eTA1engine7.0.1-1402240000definitionsmain-1501280146/html

(the regex is not corrected so, the result is broken like that after using the regex)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2023 Views 5,598 Applies to: