Track Changes Balloons: Show Comments only, not Formatting, and keep it that way?

We frequently use Track Changes and Comments (Word 2010, Win 7) in our documents. I set the Track Changes Options to not track formatting and set Balloons to "Only for comments/formatting." This causes the tracked changes to be shown inline, which is what I want to see. The thing is, I do not want to see the balloons for formatting changes, I only want to see balloons for comments. So, in the "Show Markup" drop down, I uncheck "Formatting." This gives me the appearance I want. However, I occasionally need to turn Track Changes off to make an edit that I do not want to show as a tracked change. When I turn Track Changes on again, the balloons for formatting reappear! I then have to go back to the Show Markup drop down and uncheck "Formatting" again. Is there any way to change Word 2010's behavior so that I show only comments in balloons and it stays that way? It would be nice if the Track Changes Options dialogue included a choice for comments only. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2019 Views 23,742 Applies to:
Answer

Good catch! Testing for protected view with:

If Application.ActiveProtectedViewWindow Is Nothing Then
'code here
End If

is definitely helpful.

An alternative approach is to use the On Error statement, of course.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP
Volunteer Moderator
(MVP program information: https://mvp.microsoft.com/)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
The following should do what you want: Click File tab | Options | Trust Center. Click the Trust Center Settings button. In the Privacy Options category, clear the check mark next to "Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving." You can now save the options in the Review tab | Show Markup drop down with the current document.

Note that the "Make hidden markup..." option is specific to your installation of Word. What other people see (if you send them the document) depends on the setting on their machines.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP
Volunteer Moderator
(MVP program information: https://mvp.microsoft.com/)

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.