Shift+F9 and Alt +F9 do not reveal INCLUDEPICTURE field code in my Word 2010 document

Hi! I am using Word 2010 on a Windows 7 computer. My document has many images in it that are linked through the INCLUDEPICTURE field.

To link the files I do this: Insert > Picture > select my image > Insert > Link to File.  The image appears in the document. When I select the image and press Alt+F9 I should be able to see the path, for example: { INCLUDEPICTURE "imagename.png"\*MERGEFORMAT }.  If I press Alt+F9 I should see the paths to all the linked images in the entire document.  This function worked last week and for may years.  Now it is not working on my work laptop or my personal laptop.  I have tried creating a new document today and it has the same issue.

I did restart my laptops over the weekend, wondering if this could be the issue with a microsoft windows update.

Question Info

Last updated September 24, 2019 Views 3,738 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

One workaround is to save the document as a "Word 97-2003 (*.doc)" file, at least temporarily. In that format, the INCLUDEPICTURE fields will appear with Alt+F9. You can change the paths there. Then you can either click File > Convert to restore the Word 2010 features (and hiding the fields) or use Save As to save in Word 2010 (*.docx) format.

The "official" (and mostly useless) method is to click File to go to the Info page, and click the Edit Links to Files item in the lower right corner. That opens a dialog where you can click a picture's row and click Change Source. For changing the folder or file name of every picture in the document, this is no more efficient than right-clicking each picture and choosing Change Picture.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

In recent versions of Word, selecting Insert > Picture > Link to File (or Insert and Link) won't insert an INCLUDEPICTURE field, so you won't see a field code when you press Alt+F9.

If you insert an INCLUDEPICTURE field directly, the field code will only be displayed if the picture is inline with the text. If the picture is floating above the text, the field code won't be displayed.

---
Kind regards, HansV
www.eileenslounge.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.