• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

Choose starting page for page numbers

MeraMatematik asked on

Hi,

I have a document and I want to insert page numbers in my footers. But I want the first four pages to be "empty" and the number 1 appearing on the fifth page, the number 2 appearing on the sixth page, and so on.

I found some help googling but that just worked for pre-ribbon office. I am using Office 2010 Beta.

Please help me. :)

7 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Beth Melton replied on

To start page numbering on a page other than page one, first you need to insert a section break in your document right before you want your page numbers to begin. You'll find sections breaks on the Page Layout tab in the Page Setup group under Breaks. The type of break you need to use in this situation you'll need to insert a Next Page Section Break before page 5.

Then:

1. Right-click the footer on your physical page 5 and click "Edit Footer"
  2. On the Header & Footer Tools Design tab, in the Navigation group, click "Link to Previous". Note it should be selected and clicking it will deselect the option.
  3. In the Header & Footer group, click Page Number and from the Current Position gallery, select your desired page number
  4. Click Page Number again, and then click Format Page Numbers.
  5. Change the Start At number to 1 and click OK.
  6. Close the Header and Footer view.

Also, if you find instructions for previous versions of Word the location of the commands may be different but logic for accomplishing the task will be the same. Of course, there's that little issue of figuring out where the commands have moved. ;-) Here's a link to a Word 2003 to Word 2007 interactive guide that may help you find where commands have been moved should you encounter a similar situation again:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100744321033.aspx

~Beth Melton Microsoft Office MVP
~Beth Melton
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress