Resource Usage View - Assignment Summary Line Not Adding Up Correctly

Hi everyone!

I have trawled through numerous forums and this support site but am yet to find a resolution to the following issue, I hope someone can help! :-)

I'm currently using MS Project 2010 (SP2) along with PWA/Project Server 2010 and I'm having some issue with the assignment summary line for in the resource usage view not adding up hours correctly.

I have a resource that is working on multiple projects that are stored in project server.

When I first open up server I ensure the "Load assignments" tick box is checked.

I open up one of the project schedules and navigate to the resource usage view. It's showing some confusing figures at the summary line that sometimes doesn't add up the hours under the "Other Projects and Commitments" section.

I have reviewed the tasks in all the project schedules that the resource has been assigned work and they are all set to "auto schedule" and are a combination of manual and flat based work contoured assignments.

When I have all schedules from project server open (checked out and not read only) the summary line that adds up resource work hours changes to the correct figure. 

Is this a bug in MS project or is there a setting that I am missing?

Happy to send a couple of example screen shots to anyone who is willing to help me.

Thanks in advance!

Pete

UPDATE: 28/07/14

It seems like there is some sort of bug and it doesn't seem like there is a fix. I have however found that you can find some useful reports in the "Resource Availability" section of the Resource Center in PWA that may assist in identifying specific resource over allocations. Will update this post if I find a fix.

|

Pete --

Over the years, there have been numerous reports that the Resource Usage view does not show the correct numbers when the PM selects the Load Summary Resource Assignments option is selected.  I suspect that this is a bug, and because of this, I personally use the Other Projects and Commitments option only to see the other projects to which a team member is assigned.  If you deselect this option when you connect to Project Server 2010, do you see that the numbers are correct in the Resource Usage view?  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dale,

Many thanks for your reply. It's much appreciated.

If I do unselect the "Load resource allocation" checkbox upon opening project the resource summary line does sum up correctly however the ability to see resource allocation is crucial for our program as we have engineers that work across multiple projects.

Do you have any other ideas on a way I could view this info?

Are there any reports/views that I could easily pull out of server/PWA to display this info?

It's crucial that each of the project managers in our team who are the owners of the schedules be able to view resource allocations across the program in order to identify any over allocations. I see this as one of project servers core functions and it would be disappointing to learn that this is flawed and has been for quite some time as it totally defeats the purpose of server.

Apologies for the rant! It's just that I'm new to project server (have been using MS project stand alone for 8 years) and it's not currently living up to my expectations as a collaboration tool.

Cheers,

Pete

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Pete --

Why don't you create a master project containing all of the projects in the program?  Then, when you open the master project, you will be able to see the big picture of how your PMs are using the resources across the program, including seeing cross-project overallocations.  When you create the master project, I would recommend you insert each subproject in Read-Only mode, otherwise you will lock your PMs out of their projects while you have the master project open.

Beyond this, you could build custom reports in the Business Intelligence Center in PWA for this purpose as well.  Just a couple of ideas.  I hope others in this forum will share their ideas as well.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestions Dale.

Unfortunately forming a master project schedule would not work as you would have to insert every schedule in our division (40 plus schedules)  which would make the file clunky and slow. 

I have however had a look at some of the reporting in PWA and there are a few reports that are useful. Good suggestion!

Cheers,

Pete

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 19, 2017 Views 814 Applies to: